wednesday, where is bob the builder when you need him

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,551
edited October 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

cafe, office, meh

anyone know any builders/whatever for interior work (in hounslow area), doors etc. who can start 'now', got a friend desperate to get work done and they are getting nowhere, let me know, thanks
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    Morning

Today is true holiday rather than decorating so off to London we go - should be a giggle
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Im awake, thatll do, new blame in the razor yesterday keep forgetting so my neck is on fire this morning, must, not, scratch....

Usual dullness of the day, had the dreary realisation its only Wednesday which means nothing to be totally fair.
    The mother piped up saying she wants coving fitted, who on earth still has that stuff? So looks like that's my evening booked. Shall do some reading up on how this stuff works. Sounds very 90's like dado rails.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Step83 wrote:
    I Shall do some reading up on how this stuff works. Sounds very 90's like dado rails.

A mitre block or even a mitre saw would be your best friend. The fun bit is a 45 plus the bevel angle to go around a corner and get the length right. You can try the polystyrene/foam type because it's cheap and you won't worry about mistakes or you can go for the gyproc stuff which is a piece of plasterboard with two angles at each edge but is a pain to attach using oval wire or similar. The fact that it is a strip of plasterboard and not a 90 deg x 45 x 45 like the polystyrene or equivalent makes it tricky.
    If the ceiling to wall isn't square and straight...

Me toots watch me. Slow morning with lots of coffee then swim.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    I Shall do some reading up on how this stuff works. Sounds very 90's like dado rails.

A mitre block or even a mitre saw would be your best friend. The fun bit is a 45 plus the bevel angle to go around a corner and get the length right. You can try the polystyrene/foam type because it's cheap and you won't worry about mistakes or you can go for the gyproc stuff which is a piece of plasterboard with two angles at each edge but is a pain to attach using oval wire or similar. The fact that it is a strip of plasterboard and not a 90 deg x 45 x 45 like the polystyrene or equivalent makes it tricky.
    If the ceiling to wall isn't square and straight...

Wot he said but in simple terms...

0ABB4470-3B36-4ACB-A566-93B0FBA0817C.jpeg

Obvious innit :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Coving is easier if you do the corners separately as short lengths and then fill the gaps left between the corners with long lengths that you can cut to size.

I found the best stuff to use was a polystyrene foam type that was covered with paper. Gives the same finish as gyproc, but without the hassle.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Day off today so have been out doing a few bits n pieces and am now chilling with the hound while Stressbag and Stropteen go to Bluewater. Lucky escape that.

Seems like they are getting a bit panicked about naff all at work but they can sort it out themselves...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Cheers for the advise Pinno, Capt Slog an Team47b. Picked up two packs of paper covered polystyrene stuff an the adhesive joys of an estate they got swallowed nicely through the ski hatch. I have a mitre I can rotate the saw blade 45 degrees each way as well as do the usual turning the base so should be doable. Will need a fair bit of filler, its an old house an the walls are not straight, looks like it'll be a long night.

Also I was in Homebase, I'm guessing they've had a take over? Lots of new lines have popped up from companies I don't recognise but seemed decent, giant stainless steel tool trolley caught my eye.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    sungod wrote:
    anyone know any builders/whatever for interior work (in hounslow area)
    Pikey central there must be someone that will do it for cash starting now, assuming you can get them out of whichever hell hole they are in. Problem would only arise if you wanted a recommendation for someone any good. I'll ask around when I'm in the office on Fryday.
    Busy morning in the office and a bit of running around this afternoon. Now catching up with a bit of work before heading out to the pub later. More wfh tomorrow.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    Pikey central there must be someone that will do it for cash starting now, assuming you can get them out of whichever hell hole they are in. Problem would only arise if you wanted a recommendation for someone any good. I'll ask around when I'm in the office on Fryday.
    Busy morning in the office and a bit of running around this afternoon. Now catching up with a bit of work before heading out to the pub later. More wfh tomorrow.

Question is: Duz he wan' the matchin' periwinkle uphalstery fer his ma's caravan?
  • sungod
    Veronese68 wrote:
    sungod wrote:

cheers, they've been trying for ages but so far struggle to find anyone who can get on with it

fyi it's fitting fire doors etc. to meet hmo rules, it'll get inspected by the council so needs someone who won't screw it up/knows how to do it right

shame it's so far from pinno :)
  • pinno
    At least fire doors are relatively inexpensive. I this property a flat?
  • sungod
    yeah, house they converted way back, one up, one down, but they didn't know about hmo, now under the cosh to fix it fast or get seriously hammered - can't remember the full list of stuff they have to do, but from memory it seemed strange, multiple fire doors inside a ground floor flat

i'd been thinking about doing a buy to let as flats, it's put me right off the idea, can't see how it pays

imo it'd be better to turn it back into a house, but seems to be too late now, shame, it's really hit them hard
  • pinno
    sungod wrote:
    yeah, house they converted way back, one up, one down, but they didn't know about hmo, now under the cosh to fix it fast or get seriously hammered - can't remember the full list of stuff they have to do, but from memory it seemed strange, multiple fire doors inside a ground floor flat

i'd been thinking about doing a buy to let as flats, it's put me right off the idea, can't see how it pays

imo it'd be better to turn it back into a house, but seems to be too late now, shame, it's really hit them hard

Check building regs. MyGrandadsBike is the guy. You probably need fireboards on the ceiling. It's mandatorry between two separate properties. Each council is different but it's par for the course in new builds.
    Its just fancy plasterboard but with a fireproof backing - not too much difference in price. It might already have them, you never know.
    Yes, 2 firedoors minimum.