Anyone commuting on a 29er?

niallmo
niallmo Posts: 103
edited November 2016 in Commuting general
Realised I can use my spare Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my Charge Cooker...it had had Land Cruisers on when I've used it on the commute in the past but went back to the Maxxis knoblies intending to use it as intended but it's just sat in the garage for 6 months.

With the winter approaching it might be a good choice...My Carrera Vanquish is fine but I get bored on the same bike all the time...

Comments

• niallmo
    8626C503-9015-420D-B0ED-D10477F1591C_zpsnmoc4fmp.jpg
  • I commute on a '29er' but I refer to it as a 700cer... rerererr
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Nice looking bike - but I;d want full guards for a commuting bike. Makes it far more pleasant.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    nope - thought about it a few times - but as it's 10 miles on tarmac including hills I haven't bothered.
    I did go cross country on my CX once (I think before I got the 29er) - it was damp and decidedly slower than following the road ...
    Still think about trying it - but the offroad ways will be very wet at this time of year - perhaps when it's got really cold - or wait till next summer...
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Nice looking bike but is that a bell I see on the handle bars?
  • niallmo
    snowster wrote:
    Nice looking bike but is that a bell I see on the handle bars?

Yes, yes it is. Very useful around my local area.

I do have a full Zefal rear mudguard but I'd took it off for summer. I'm looking at a set rather than go back to the Zefal though.
  • Yes - but my commute is mostly off-road! I share it with sheep and cows...
  • niallmo
    I was faster on the 29er today than the road bike. Maybe I just know the route a bit better...interesting to see how it goes back on the road bike.
  • Me - but my route into work is mainly off-road.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • geomickb
    geomickb Posts: 147
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BMrdKmdgau-/

Yes, works well. Full mudguards and bell. Bell is a necessity to politely advise other cycle-path users that I am there.