Races that no longer exist or changed

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited August 2017 in Pro race
talking about the Midi Libre today - a nice little warm up stage race before the big races - finished in early 2000's

what others spring to mind?
midilibre.jpg

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Tour of Beijing!!!

beijing_bicycle.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bordeaux-Paris (Mostly before my time)
    Zurich-Metzgete
    Classique des Alpes
    Coors Classic/Tour de Trump/Tour DuPont
    Wincanton Classic

(If you have seen the film Foxcatcher, the events depicted lead to the the demise of the Tour DuPont)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    RichN95 wrote:

Was intrigued by this one. Never had The Donald down as a cycling fan.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ace-213801
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Was intrigued by this one. Never had The Donald down as a cycling fan.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ace-213801

Who say he is?

It's a relatively cheap way to have an entire race named after him.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Tour of Beijing!!!

beijing_bicycle.jpg

Oh behave! :P
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Tour de San Luis is no more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Surprised you lot didn't mention Bordeaux-Paris, given the inaugural winner was a Brit. (Not pictured)

DernyRacing12a_2.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Surprised you lot didn't mention Bordeaux-Paris, given the inaugural winner was a Brit. (Not pictured)

DernyRacing12a_2.jpg

Have you got Rich on block? First name on his list!

Milk Race - resurrected in recent years but completely different.

So many have changed names that I forget if they still exist or not.
  • Most of the Spanish calendar.
    Setmana Catalana de Ciclisme
    Vuelta a Aragón etc etc

Italy:
    Giro del Lazio
    Giro del Veneto
    Giro di Sardegna
    Trofeo Baracchi
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Ok the real classic ones from my era:
    The Nissan Classic
    Kelloggs Tour of Britain
    Kelloggs City Center series (UK and ireland)

And then...

Deutschland Tour
    Grand Prix des Nations
    Trofeo Luis Puig

The old Tour de France which ran for 3.5 weeks.... and the days with two stages
    www.dotcycling.com
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Wasn't Bordeaux-Paris done half motor pacing behind a dernie before the real racing started ? Although I think it started during the night as well the race was that long.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Tour of the Peak - I remember going to watch the finish not long after I got into road cycling - to say it was low key is an understatement you get more spectators watching the finish of a 3/4.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Tour of the Peak - I remember going to watch the finish not long after I got into road cycling - to say it was low key is an understatement you get more spectators watching the finish of a 3/4.

One of the toughest races of the premier calendar / star trophy, sad that it is now better known as a sportive.
  • Tour of the Peak - I remember going to watch the finish not long after I got into road cycling - to say it was low key is an understatement you get more spectators watching the finish of a 3/4.

One of the toughest races of the premier calendar / star trophy, sad that it is now better known as a sportive.

it used to finish in Buxton and to be fair they did have a lorry with an open side that acted as a podium / presentation and there was a fair crowd once - we are talking one of the best races in the UK and getting what you might expect on a Wednesday eve summer crit in a village in Normandy

Then BCF managed to let it run down to a circuit race that barely registered
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Most of the Spanish calendar.

Most of the women's calendar
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    emadden wrote:
    ...Deutschland Tour...

You will be happy to know that it's coming back in 2017. Most likely at the cost of the Bayern Rundfahrt, which last ran in 2014 due to lack of sponsorship. It's also unlikely to run in 2017. It's a pity, as I got to see it in person a couple of times, and it attracted a high level of competition.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...

it used to finish in Buxton and to be fair they did have a lorry with an open side that acted as a podium / presentation and there was a fair crowd once - we are talking one of the best races in the UK and getting what you might expect on a Wednesday eve summer crit in a village in Normandy

Then BCF managed to let it run down to a circuit race that barely registered

Agreed, it was a great race and always a hard day out. Races like that, the tour of the cotswolds, bristol gp, tour of lancs etc made for a good uk season for elite riders. It's shocking what it has now become.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    emadden wrote:
    Ok the real classic ones from my era:
    The Nissan Classic
    Kelloggs Tour of Britain
    Kelloggs City Center series (UK and ireland)

And then...

Deutschland Tour
    Grand Prix des Nations
    Trofeo Luis Puig

The old Tour de France which ran for 3.5 weeks.... and the days with two stages

The Nissan Classic is back on again. Being funded by the UK taxpayer.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The Skelton Two Day. Even the sponsor has gone to the wall, best bread shop in the East Riding.
  • sherer wrote:
    Wasn't Bordeaux-Paris done half motor pacing behind a dernie before the real racing started ? Although I think it started during the night as well the race was that long.

The trick in that race was some fishing wire with a cork on the end attached to the derny, which the cyclist held in his mouth for a considerable part of the race (possibly under the cover of darkness?) by all accounts!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Webboo wrote:
    The Skelton Two Day. Even the sponsor has gone to the wall, best bread shop in the East Riding.

I remember Skeltons well! Devonshire cream splits! Hmm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

DernyRacing12a_2.jpg
    He had to prove he was an amatuer to the English govening body the NCU before they accepted he had won.
    Later when the BLRC (League of Racing Cyclists) merged with the all powerfull NCU and part of the agreement was Peloton racing on the open road provided they had Police permission and then we had the Tom Simpson win in 1963.
    The picture shows professionals riding about the time of Tom Simpson, before the Dernies had reached their final nominated Stopping place.

There used to be a long distance B-P event and to qualify you needed to have completed various long distance Audax events and I believe there is now an Sportive event.
    I seem to remember in 1965 while working in the Renault factory in Boulogne-Billancourt Paris that I got out to hang about to see Anquetil come by to win but the riders came by in smal groups (two's and three's) after the Dernies had ceased.
    Just sit in a Cafe and wait. ????
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    deejay wrote:
    I seem to remember in 1965 while working in the Renault factory in Boulogne-Billancourt Paris that I got out to hang about to see Anquetil come by to win but the riders came by in smal groups (two's and three's) after the Dernies had ceased.
    That was the year of Anquetil's famous double

3pm Finish Dauphine in Avignon as winner
    5pm Finish post race interviews & presentations
    6.30pm Take off from Nimes airport
    8pm Land in Bordeaux
    8.30-12am Sleep
    12am Pre race meal
    1am Start Bordeaux-Paris
    4pm Finish 15 hour race as winner

He must have been ripped off his tits on pills and whizz
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    deejay wrote:

8pm Land in Bordeaux
    8.30-12am Sleep
    12am Pre race meal
    1am Start Bordeaux-Paris

We've all been there
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    deejay wrote:

There used to be a long distance B-P event and to qualify you needed to have completed various long distance Audax events and I believe there is now an Sportive event.

It ran in 2014 and might run again in 2018. One to pencil in to your diaries. It is 620km to be completed in less than 32 hours, that's an average of 19km/h (douche comprise).

https://vimeo.com/97321643
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Are you not on about Paris-Brest-Paris?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    RichN95 wrote:
    deejay wrote:

8pm Land in Bordeaux
    8.30-12am Sleep
    12am Pre race meal
    1am Start Bordeaux-Paris

We've all been there

I'd love to see this race brought back. Maybe minus the pills and whizz but something tells me it wouldn't be so good without them!
  • Paul 8v wrote:

I'd love to see this race brought back. Maybe minus the pills and whizz but something tells me it wouldn't be so good without them!

For the riders or the spectators? :shock: :lol:
  • Plink plank was Eneco. ?
    Has Vuelta Burgos always been called that?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,391
    WRT the long distance derney races, how far can a derney do on a tank of 2 stroke? What did the riders do whilst their derney filled up? Did they carry on and let the derney catch up, or did they use it as an opportunity to refuel too?