The Great Toblerone Swindle

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Isn't it odd how all these things are getting so much smaller yet the people who eat them are getting so much bigger!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    To top it off they have been hiding a bear in their logo for years.
  • Garry H wrote:
    Double Deckers are actually bigger now than they used to be.
    Shame they taste awful. Perhaps making them larger is the only way to get rid of them.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    keef66 wrote:
    Hersheys "chocolate" in particular is vile waxy stuff that tastes faintly of earwax.

I don't recall it tasting that good.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    keef66 wrote:
    Girl in the office just come back from a trip to NewYork with a big bag of U.S. confectionery. I've tried one of each and they are all disgusting. The Hersheys "chocolate" in particular is vile waxy stuff that tastes faintly of earwax.

In August my sister brought back some Peanut Butter Hershey's - she thought my girls would like them. F*cking rank. I refused and still refuse point blank to give my two little one's sugary shyte. I am sick to death of Grandma purchasing affection and sneaking sweat things to them - we're 'depriving' them apparently :roll:
    Our two do get cake and pastries and ice cream but not as a matter of course and at the right time of day and with sufficient exercise.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Have you seen the size of the Toblerone bar in the £ shop, it is twice the size of the one sold in Morrisons for £1.36!!!!!
    If you are lucky you may find some Mr. Tom peanut brittle bars.
    How much are they I hear you ask.....
    £1
    Poundshop = Toblerone, Mr. Tom and Batteries
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Back in the days when I stacked shelves in a newsagents, Toblerone came in 100g, 200g and 400g sizes. So has the 200g size shrunk?

I bought a couple of 400g bars on the ferry at the weekend, and they are exactly as I remember them. Jawbreaking if you bite a chilled segment.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    keef66 wrote:
    Girl in the office just come back from a trip to NewYork with a big bag of U.S. confectionery. I've tried one of each and they are all disgusting. The Hersheys "chocolate" in particular is vile waxy stuff that tastes faintly of earwax.

A Toblerone would be a sophisticated, luxurious item by comparison...

You should try a Hersheys Kit Kat - a convincing argument for any American to emigrate to Canada.

As for the Toblerone. I hope that they are engineered to break in the middle of the gap. Otherwise there's going to be fights when people break of a chunk and end up short changed. Why don't they just make the pack smaller?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • On the subject of American confectionery......I go to the States a lot...and have perused, and indulged in some of the most vile sweets known to man...but it is all forgiven when you discover the heaven that is Ghirardelli's!!!
    They have a "factory" in San Fran, and a street called Ghirardelli Square...its a homage to chocolate, and trust me when I say, it is a very very well delivered homage too! Human sized chocolate statues et etc..you get the picture!
    And the place actually proves the link between women and chocolate...all the female customers...my wife included walk round like they are in a remake of Irobot..called IChocolate!!! Its the best time to drop the "I need a new (insert your preference here) they will agree to anything just to be left alone to smell the air!!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rolf F wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

A Toblerone would be a sophisticated, luxurious item by comparison...

You should try a Hersheys Kit Kat - a convincing argument for any American to emigrate to Canada.

Yep, said bag included "KitKats" too. Very disappointing...
  • This is uninspiring and too predictable.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Anyone remember Spangles?
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:

...and Wham bars, whilst we're at it. Stoat killers they were.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

...and Wham bars, whilst we're at it. Stoat killers they were.

I don't actually remember spangles. It's just that every time there,s a conversation about sweets, some cnut always asks "anyone remember spangles?"

I do remember wham bars, much to my dentist's delight.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Garry H wrote:
    Olde English spangles were the ones for me....
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Andcp wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    They were the hotest things around before Indian restaurants were invented.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Webboo wrote:
    Andcp wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    They were the hotest things around before Indian restaurants were invented.
    I think you're forgetting Vesta Curries with crispy noodles (and they are best forgotten).....followed by Butterscotch Angel Delight. Yummy.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Garry H
    I saw a Vesta curry in Asda today. People still buy them?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I guess some people might like dehydrated beef even when there not in the middle of nowhere. I now realise my love of Vesta beef curries as a child was just training for the great outdoors.

However once I got to the great outdoors I found they had cafes and chip shops there. Another of life's great disappointments.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    The great Toblerone swindle has made the BBC news page.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Oh, and while we're at it, Magnums!!! I had my first one for ages last year at vast expense at Col de la Croix Haute south of Grenoble, and it was about half the size I was expecting. More like a Mininum. .

MAgnums are still the same size ..... but they now do a Magnum "mini" which is half the size ..... you sure it wasn't actually a mini ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You have to wonder why, if saving money is so important, they choose a solution which pointlessly wastes packaging.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Veronese68 wrote:

Actually heard it being discussed on radio 4 as I got in the car this morning. Apparently the anorexic bike rack of a bar is only for the UK market!
  • Brexit init!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'm looking forward to the black market in imported Toblerone.

In which case I might even buy one, which is more than I ever have before.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    bompington wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the black market in imported Toblerone.

In which case I might even buy one, which is more than I ever have before.
    Trade deal with Switzerland?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    fat daddy wrote:
    Oh, and while we're at it, Magnums!!! I had my first one for ages last year at vast expense at Col de la Croix Haute south of Grenoble, and it was about half the size I was expecting. More like a Mininum. .

MAgnums are still the same size ..... but they now do a Magnum "mini" which is half the size ..... you sure it wasn't actually a mini ?

In the UK Magnums will be restricted in size to acheive a particular kCal limit. This means some of the more luxuirous ones (double caramel etc) will be stopped altogether. It was in the 'news' earlier in the year, but I can't be bothered to search for the link.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    someone on b3ta has developed a solution to the tenuous toblerone...

http://b3ta.com/board/11212783
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    sungod wrote:
    someone on b3ta has developed a solution to the tenuous toblerone...

http://b3ta.com/board/11212783

That's brilliant. Pity they taste so sh1t.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I must have bought one of the first new bars, because I did a Google before posting this thread and there wasn't a single reference anywhere online about the new size - now its even made the news in America!

Personally, I feel that most people consider toblerone a special treat, maybe once or twice a year, so even if they doubled the price I think most people would still buy it. But changing the shape (at any price) makes it a big NO for me! The shape is all part of the Toblerone experience.

It's not like a cheap Cadbury chocolate bar that you might pick up regularly from the corner shop. It's a special xmas treat type chocolate in most people's minds.

Anyway, let's hope they change it back!