New lid for next year

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Have tried on a Kask Protone and a Giro Synthe and both fit me well, but am wondering if one better than the other?

From what I have read both ventilate well (Giro slightly better from reviews I have read), they are both reasonably light (believe the Kask is the lighter) and the Kask is the more aero but both are better than the Bell Volt I have now.

Anyone got any opinions on which is better and why?

Thanks
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Which looks better to you ?
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    The Protone is the best helmet I've ever worn. Very light and comfortable to the point I forget I'm wearing it. Really nice low fit at the back.

I had a Synthe, but sold it after a few rides, it felt like it was half way up the back of my head, not low enough.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Protone does not ventilate as well as non-aero lids, but there's only a month or two that would make it a detriment in the UK. Also, it is surprisingly quiet, compared to many other helmets. As a bonus, i managed to cram my noggin into Medium and fit is fine.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The Bontrager Ballista has some impressive numbers and is a decent chunk cheaper than the Protone.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I found the synthe miles more comfortable than the protone.
    Either one is a good choice, personally I'd have the giro because of the MIPS
  • JesseD
    Fenix – to be honest I like the look of them both, which ever I get it will be in white and initially I preferred the Synthe in white but the more I look at the Protone I really like that as well.

Joe2008 – interesting, never thought of that, both do fit my head pretty well in the shop, and either will be better than my Bell Volt which is almost an antique now.

Mamil314 – noise isn’t something I had considered, I also have a BBB Tithon which whilst pretty aero is also quite a bit more noisy than the Bell, I would prefer a quieter helmet in reality, anyone know what air noise is like on the Giro?

Trek_dan – I almost bought a Ballista a couple of months ago but I just couldn’t get it to fit comfortably on my head, the medium felt a tiny bit too small and the large was like I was wearing a washing up bowl.

Dannbodge - its a difficult one as you can only try them on in a shop and by the one you think fits the best, dont want to make an expensive mistake however cant see any other option given you very rarely can test a helmet on a ride. Looked at the MIPS and am sure it is good, however it does whack the price of the helmet up quite a lot.
  • I have both as well as a Met Rivale and I like all 3 the same.
  • JesseD
    Sod it I have just ordered the Protone in white (as part of a deal on a new bike/wheels etc) as the shop i am buying the bike from doesn't stock Giro and if i don't get on with it after a couple of rides I will sell on here and buy the Synthe!

I have also ordered a Giro Foray in blue/black from Winstanleys for £27.99 which is cheap as chips, that will do as my winter lid with the Bell as a back up.

Right now to stop spending!
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    Just ordered the Protone from Ribble (£151 with code) to replace a crashed Vertigo (Which i'll replace under crash replacment policy to keep as a spare and winter use - bigger size to wear wooley hat). Also squeezing into a medium as the large Vertigo alway felt too big. Never tried a Synthe so can't compare but expectations high for the Protone going on the reviews. I also felt it looked better.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have the Protone and love it. I noticed the lack of wind noise immediately. I have the medium size and there is enough adjustment in the size to allow me to comfortably wear a winter skull cap underneath.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    JesseD wrote:
    Sod it I have just ordered the Protone in white (as part of a deal on a new bike/wheels etc) as the shop i am buying the bike from doesn't stock Giro and if i don't get on with it after a couple of rides I will sell on here and buy the Synthe!

Right now to stop spending!

Good choice, I don't think you'll regret it. Super helmet, comfy as...