Campagnolo Record shifting issue

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited October 2016 in The workshop
I know how to set up indexing.

I cannot get my 10 speed Record to index across the whole range, if the top 8 work it's dodgy on the other two, or vica versa.

Last night I replaced the cable (inner & outer), it seemed a bit better but I need to try it on the road tonight.

KMC chain is relatively new as is the cassette.

Bike never dropped or crashed so can't see the RD being out of align.

Record RD and Record shifters are 13 years old, I put them on new. Can't say for sure but the shifters don't feel as 'clicky' as they used to, not as sharp, but that may be me.

What would you do in my situation, what would you replace next? Or would you take it into a reputable bike shop to see what they say?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd check the alignment of the mech hanger before doing anything else. I bought an alignment tool online for I think a tenner; I was amazed just how far from true the hangers were on both my bikes, and straightening them accurately was quick and easy with the tool. Far easier to get indexing spot on now.

I'm assuming you've had the rear mech off the bike for a good clean and lube and thorough wiggling back and forth to make sure there's no stiffness / sloppiness in the pivots or jockey wheels?
  • keef66 wrote:
    I'd check the alignment of the mech hanger before doing anything else. I bought an alignment tool online for I think a tenner; I was amazed just how far from true the hangers were on both my bikes, and straightening them accurately was quick and easy with the tool. Far easier to get indexing spot on now.

I'm assuming you've had the rear mech off the bike for a good clean and lube and thorough wiggling back and forth to make sure there's no stiffness / sloppiness in the pivots or jockey wheels?

Are the 'cheap' alignment tools OK? Easy to use?

No I haven't taken the mech off. New jockey wheels fitted fairly recently, looks clean and it's lubed. If I put the chain in the small cog the mech is easy to push up the cassette and it returns in the same manner when I release it.
  • keef66
    Sounds like you look after the mech and it's OK

As far as I can tell the cheap tools do just the same thing as the dearer ones. Mines a bit of a faff moving the pointer to clear the stays, especially on the winter bike with guards, but for something I'll use once every couple of years it's fine.

Although crikey they have gone up in price since I bought mine!

A cheaper ghetto alternative is to use a second wheel with a threaded axle. (your front wheel will do) It should be the same size / pitch. Screw that in to the hanger and measure to see if the 2 rims are parallel, and use the wheel to bend as required till they are. (Credit to Sheldon Brown for that one)
  • Well after all that I took the bike out last night and it was prefect, so it was the cable that was causing the issues.

I was seeking perfection in the indexing with the bike on the work stand, it was shifting 95%. I must learn that 95% shifting performance in a work stand equates to 100% once you get the bike on the road.

Think I'll still get an alignment tool next time I see one in a sale.

Thanks for your help.
  • keef66
    My experience is usually the opposite; the thing behaves impeccably on the workstand and then starts buggering about out on the road!

Glad you're sorted
  • keef66 wrote:
    My experience is usually the opposite; the thing behaves impeccably on the workstand and then starts buggering about out on the road!

Glad you're sorted

:D