Looking for some comfy shoes

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for a new pair of spd shoes to replace my old shimano ones which I've never liked there not that comfy and cold and don't really want some over shoes. I did order some Northwave Galaxy's but they were to small and very stiff. I looking for more comfort then stiffness, looking to spend £100-£150 any suggestions ?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You want other people to suggest shoes that might be comfortable for you? That's just not going to work.
  • Best bet is go round the shops trying them on, everyone is very different when it comes to shoes and comfort. Just got my first pair at the weekend doing just such.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    I like the Sidi Pro 5 give them a try.. great shoe.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Footwear is about the only thing I don't risk buying online. Far better to visit a few shops and try on several different makes / models. Having said that, it doesn't happen very often. I'm still wearing a pair of Nike SPDs I bought in Haywards when they still had a shop on King's Parade in Cambridge. Must be 12 years old, but apart from a few scuffs they are still fine. I'd like them to wear out so I have an excuse to buy some new ones... (I'm of Yorkshire stock and can't bear to throw out anything that's still working)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Moved from Shimano XC61s to Sidi Dragon 4s. So much more comfortable. Just as stiff as the Shimanos and only slightly heavier.

Check out ebay for places selling them at well below the RRP. I got mine for about £150 when RRP was just over £200.

If comfort is your prime concern though I'd be trying a few pairs on if I could. Not many places stock a decent range though.
  • I'd agree with the general consensus about going and trying them. I went through a phase of buying cheap second hand pairs to try them and actually ended up going back to the ones I was already using.

The problem with cycling shoes is I'm not sure you really know if they're right or not until you've tried them on the bike, I imagine most good shops will let you try them - if only on a turbo in the shop. I know my local shop who are a specialized dealer will let people test ride anything out on real roads, which is ace. It's probably where I'll go next time I'm in the market rather than taking a chance online.