Genesis Zero frameset BB86

Team4Luke
Team4Luke Posts: 597
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Looking at one of these, bb is pressfit BB86, I want to transfer my SRAM Red 22 groupset over from my other bike which has a threaded BB and currently running a threaded GXP bb with my SRAM Red chainset.

So, I know I need a presfit BB for my Genesis frameset but what BB do I need in order to use my SRAM Red chainset ?
I've not much idea on these new bb's at all to be honest.

thanks.
Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young

Comments

• Get a SRAM BB86 GXP PressFit BB from Wiggle ;)
  • Team4Luke
    many thanks, wouldn't mind a ceramic version if available as well.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Might be worthwhile bookmarking this pdf that I came across a month or so back.

https://www.c-bear.com/bbchart.pdf

Invaluable IMHO in sorting out the myriad of BB standards and what is needed to run specific groupset chainsets
  • Team4Luke
    indeed that is great thanks, even a certain well known bike shop say they don't have a BB that fits ! The genesis bikes come with shimano groupsets so assume chainsets are same axle as Sram 24mm ? Thus just need a pres fit to suit. as per above SRAM BB86 GXP PresFit.
    Had a look at Genesis bike today my local bike shop ordered for me to take some measurements, great looking frame, so am ordering the team issue one.
  • Get a SRAM BB86 GXP PressFit BB from Wiggle ;)

does that need a spacer, am I right in thinking the sram crank tapers from 24mm to 22mm.

Only reason is looking at getting a Hope PF41 BB and seems I need a spacer kit with that as the sram cranks taper ?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Team4Luke wrote:
    Get a SRAM BB86 GXP PressFit BB from Wiggle ;)

does that need a spacer, am I right in thinking the sram crank tapers from 24mm to 22mm.

Yes it tapers. Because that BB is Sram specific, the inner bearings diameter differs at each end. So no spacer needed. and it is only compatible with Sram GXP and not Shimano
    Team4Luke wrote:
    Only reason is looking at getting a Hope PF41 BB and seems I need a spacer kit with that as the sram cranks taper ?

I think you need these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... -prod26899

See the question ''Will this work for Hopes PF41 BB?'' 3 answers say yes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can use a GXP crankset with a Shimano HTII (or Shimano compatible) BB using a simple adaptor or by using a GXP BB. Shimano is 24/24 while GXP is 24(DS) and 22 (NDS) the adaptor is a simple 1mm thick sleeve with a stop at one end.

I find the bearings in most GXP BB's are pretty pants, so personally would run a Decent Shimano (or compatible) BB with an adaptor - adaptors can be as little as a fiver off ebay, its what I have on my commuter (Truvativ Rouleur cranks, Shimano XTR BB and a J&L adaptor).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • many thanks everyone, I have ordered the SRAM one from Wiggle and it has arrived, do fancy a Hope BB so might order one and the spacer kit as well.