Ribble CR3 CX or Planet X Tempest

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new bike I want something different to an Aluminium frame as low maintenance as possible to be used all year round I don't want have to worry about preparing for winter or drying/cleaning each night after the commute home so Titanium is appealing and best I've seen is the Planet X Tempest but at £2300 its a bit pricy for my needs, ideally I'd like to be able to fit guards and rack but needs big tyres and hydro disc brakes but also still be racy and do-it-all bike cycle cross/gravel bike type. I've also looking at the Ribble CR3 spec'd with Ultergra and either Mavic Pr WTS Aksium Disc CL 25 or Shimano RX31 Centre Lock Disc Wheelset at £1800 (with few extra upgrade carbon handlebars ect)
If specd similar stuff looking about £500 cheaper for the Ribble but I'm not sure if takes guards/rack - anyone know? Also obv the frame is carbon rather than Titanium as well, but Carbon seems stronger/durable anyway although still seems to be conflicting reports of this.... and down to how it's layered up n0 of fibers to resin and if unidirectional...?

So yeah which be the better option for an all rounder do it all in any weather bike the Ribble or PX. The PX shop is more convenient for me to get too but Ribble seem to have more custom options.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you want a zero maintenance commuter go single speed and rim brakes (Edinburgh Bike Coop own brand ones are good). If you want a nice cyclocross/touring bike get one, but as Rudyard Kipling said "never the twain shall meet."
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I don't mean completely maintenance free - just something that I don't have worry about cleaning /polishing the frame and that can take a knock or two without scratching or worrying the frame is cracked. I want something different/quicker to my Trek 2.1 with 105 & ali frame that will be future proof and worth upgrading, if I chose too. Mainly for a short 6/7 mile each way commute.

As a min looking for either a carbon or Ti frame, *I'd be more comfortable with a Ti frame I think but would also like internal cabling and frame that could take Di2 if I wanted to fo that way ar some point) full Ultergra (not FSA chainset/cheaper brakes ect) Hydro disc and full mud guards and rack mount (altho might use a SQR seat post type mount anyway as only need one rucksack holding circa 15kg tops. )
    I guess it comes down if I can get my employer to up the c2w limit above the £1k as they're authorised by FCA anyway and I'm sure they'll have a consumer credit license as well
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I've been tempted by the Ribble CR3 CX too. The only issue I have is that hydraulic brakes are only available on the 105 Special Edition which only has a few options to customise and I'd want to change the wheels, which isn't an option.