Sportive\Gravel\Aero ....do they all do sexy versions !

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Just looking at new bikes as I often do, it seems the aero bikes have the market cornered when it comes to sexy ! - That Giant propel advanced pro 2 for £2.5k is so damm sexy --well I could just buy one !

http://www.zaccycles.co.uk/images/img_0 ... eight=1200

Problem for me would be that position just to aggressive for me - no problem they must do a sportive bike that looks the same....err well actually its the defy !
Nothing against the defy (I have one as as winter bike and rate it for that) - but compared to the propel .....well really ?

Then you put into google best sportive bikes - and you get a load disk brake wotsits with 28mm tyres ....

I brought my last bike some year back now (Kuota Kharma 2009) - It looks like a racing bike but has nice relaxed geo and is very nice to ride - it looked pretty similar to the then race Kebel .....

It seems Canyon are on of the few who recognise that there is market for people who want to look like a racer......but maybe can't handle the aggressive geometry ....

Any other good looking relaxed geo bikes that you know of ?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    126.jpgAn example of a ''sportive' bike professionally set up by a professional mechanic
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    kingrollo wrote:
    Just looking at new bikes as I often do, it seems the aero bikes have the market cornered when it comes to sexy ! - That Giant propel advanced pro 2 for £2.5k is so damm sexy --well I could just buy one !

Problem for me would be that position just to aggressive for me - no problem they must do a sportive bike that looks the same....err well actually its the defy !
    Nothing against the defy (I have one as as winter bike and rate it for that) - but compared to the propel .....well really ?

Then you put into google best sportive bikes - and you get a load disk brake wotsits with 28mm tyres ....

I brought my last bike some year back now (Kuota Kharma 2009) - It looks like a racing bike but has nice relaxed geo and is very nice to ride - it looked pretty similar to the then race Kebel .....

It seems Canyon are on of the few who recognise that there is market for people who want to look like a racer......but maybe can't handle the aggressive geometry ....

Get a carbon frame custom made for you. I have an Epoca R60. Looks sexy IMO. But it's custom made-to-measure, so they will build it to fit with the correct geo for you.
  • kingrollo
    PTestTeam wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Get a carbon frame custom made for you. I have an Epoca R60. Looks sexy IMO. But it's custom made-to-measure, so they will build it to fit with the correct geo for you.

You're reply could prove expensive ! - That R60 ticks a lot of boxes - what is the price range ? - warranty, customer service etc ?
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Cervelo R3 - comfortable bike, lightweight, decent height head tube to help out on position.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    So the OP wants a sportive geometry bike with rim brakes and without clearance for big tyres ?

Hadn't realised bike manufacturers were supplying so many with disk brakes now but if you go to something like Evans cycles website and click on road endurance there is still a fair choice of bikes between fifteen hundred and three grand that fit the bill. Scott solace, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, Cube Attain, Bianchi Infinito ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • JGSI wrote:
    126.jpgAn example of a ''sportive' bike professionally set up by a professional mechanic

Not much wrong with that. That is sweet!!!
  • kingrollo
    So the OP wants a sportive geometry bike with rim brakes and without clearance for big tyres ?

Hadn't realised bike manufacturers were supplying so many with disk brakes now but if you go to something like Evans cycles website and click on road endurance there is still a fair choice of bikes between fifteen hundred and three grand that fit the bill. Scott solace, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, Cube Attain, Bianchi Infinito ?

I want something that looks like the giant propel advanced pro 2 - but with relaxed geometry !
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Cervelo would fit the bill for you then.

http://www.thetristore.com/product/cerv ... ApNA8P8HAQ
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • kingrollo
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Cervelo would fit the bill for you then.

http://www.thetristore.com/product/cerv ... ApNA8P8HAQ

Getting there but not got the wow factor of the propel.....

In anycase my son had a word - he said my kuota with deep sections wheels would look just as good - he's always loved my Kuota !

At 53 i should be buying a ti bike................or a brompton !
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    kingrollo wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

You're reply could prove expensive ! - That R60 ticks a lot of boxes - what is the price range ? - warranty, customer service etc ?

3 years warranty, F&F circa £4.5k. Customer service is excellent and very personal. Epoca are only one of a very few Italian builders left who have their own paint shop so can offer one off custom paint jobs too. They even offer a 'Sognare' service, where they can organise a visit to their factory, meet the staff and pick your bike up and go on it's inaugural ride up Monte Grappa!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JGSI wrote:

.......For a pro!

Thats just a Roubaix with a slammed stem and sexy kit on isn't it?
    Not sure that would work for the OP.
    Position is just as aggressive as the Giant.

Guessing the pro rider just wanted some compliance for a bumpy stage/race.
    Either that or Specialized made him (or her) ride it to CONvince people to buy Roubaix's 8)

IMO you cannot really fake sexy race bike looks, especially position. It is what it is.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I agree ... so plan B .. book some pilates ibruprofen and cod liver oil ... and aim for flexibility in 12 months time.
  • kingrollo
    JGSI wrote:
    I agree ... so plan B .. book some pilates ibruprofen and cod liver oil ... and aim for flexibility in 12 months time.

I already do yoga - and go to the gym 4 /5 times a week. I am lucky enough to be able to go in my lunchbreak. The propel is the one bike I could feasibly afford that screams 'buy me' - Even though I have no need whatsoever for a new bike !

I think my plan b is some totally unnecessary deep section wheels - mentioned it to Mrs Kingrollo (straight after redecorating the bathroom, and bedroom mind) and it wasn't an outright no ....fish and chips on Friday I reckon I will get the green light !

Back on topic - the below ain't bad - but I can't wondering is it a regular bike just totally finished in matt black

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing/
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Reviewed in this months Cycling Plus

BIKEs-2017_0002s_0000_Fluidty_AKTIV_White.png

http://www.time-sport.com/bikes/fluidity

Claimed that frames are individually handmade. Geometry is stated to be more relaxed than true race bikes but super stiff and smooth. £4250 if you're interested
  • DeVlaeminck
    kingrollo wrote:
    Back on topic - the below ain't bad - but I can't wondering is it a regular bike just totally finished in matt black

Are you taking the piss - you dismissed everything that Evans sells on the grounds it's not a Giant Propel lookalike and then say a Ribble Sportive aint bad...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    kingrollo wrote:

Are you taking the wee-wee - you dismissed everything that Evans sells on the grounds it's not a Giant Propel lookalike and then say a Ribble Sportive aint bad...

+1 ...shows little taste. The Giant Propel will look dated in no time. The S2 that was dismissed has cleaner lines design-wise than the Propel really, and the Ribble, well, what can you say?

It seems more like a lust for matt black I reckon.
  • kingrollo
    mfin wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Are you taking the wee-wee - you dismissed everything that Evans sells on the grounds it's not a Giant Propel lookalike and then say a Ribble Sportive aint bad...

+1 ...shows little taste. The Giant Propel will look dated in no time. The S2 that was dismissed has cleaner lines design-wise than the Propel really, and the Ribble, well, what can you say?

It seems more like a lust for matt black I reckon.

All about opinions.

All the options are of interest - I hope I haven't been dismissive of anyone contributions.
  • DeVlaeminck
    haha, no worries, looks are subjective after all, otherwise I'd never have found someone to marry me ...
  • kingrollo
    Actually the more I look at it - the more of a boner I'm getting for that cervelo s2 !
  • DeVlaeminck
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... kes-48288/

Have a work through them - must be most aero bikes on the market at the moment - see which have less extreme geometry. If you know what kind of stack and reach you favour should be relatively easy to cross off the ones that are too aggressive.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    The Cervelo S2 and S3 are quite high on the front, so you should get a good comfortable position on one of them.

Also look at the Kuota K-Uno 2017, ok it is over budget but you may get a good deal and the geometry should suit the "sportive" rider. In fact also look at the Kuota Kiral 2017 its has a shorter TT and a higher HT so may be spot on, plus it is within budget.

If you consider other non-aerobikes then maybe look at the Felt Z range, more relaxed geometry and decent frames and still pretty responsive, I raced 2016 Z75 (alu) this year and it coped admirably.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Oh and the Stork Aerfast, gets great reviews and looks the business, plus you won't see many of them around.

What I don't like about the Propel is the way the cables enter the TT behind the stem, just looks like the engineers got bored and as it was approaching 5pm on a Friday, just rushed it and thought "that'll do" and left to go to the pub.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!