Is my Cervelo fake?

airborne_warrior
airborne_warrior Posts: 199
edited October 2016 in Road general
Well, bought an S2 last week and have noticed three things. Firstly the BB is only 68mm and not the BBright 79mm on 2012 onward Cervelo's. Secondly the naming on the downtube is spaced further apart than on frames I've looked at online. Thirdly I've never seen this colour scheme in an S2.

What do you think?

thumbnail_20161023_160401_zpsjpuxqdye.jpg

Real frame decal below:

Cervelo_S3_SilverBlack_zpst1fetzxj.jpg

My frame decal:

thumbnail_20161023_160420_zpscrukuwuf.jpg

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Check the frame number with Cervelo, perhaps? Having said that, comparing an S2 with a S3 is never going to go well.
  • No frame number mate. Checked everywhere even under cable guide under BB.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Check the frame number with Cervelo, perhaps? Having said that, comparing an S2 with a S3 is never going to go well.

Are S2 pretty much classed as pants then? Serious question.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Are S2 pretty much classed as pants then? Serious question.

No, what I mean is that you are comparing the paint/decal finish on two different frames when it is perfectly possible that Cervelo updated the graphics when the model changed. Consequently, you cannot compare the graphics on two different frames and then conclude that one is not genuine.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Where did you buy it? Go back to them and get more info if you bought it second hand or go back to the shop if bought 'as new'.
  • Yep, see where you're coming from though the Cervelo logo is the same on all models from the mid 2000's to present from what I can see. Can't find on decal online where the lettering is as far spaced apart than on mine. Answered my own question really in regards to its authenticity! Cheers anyway.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Where did you buy it? Go back to them and get more info if you bought it second hand or go back to the shop if bought 'as new'.

Bought it in Dubai secondhand. The bloke is now back in Lebanon.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    If it is, then it's a very good fake
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Frame looks spot on ..... guess if it's been dropped / rebuilt it might have been painted and decalled differently by the bikeworks
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Ah, it's obviously an old frame/S2 model at least 3 or 4 years old if genuine
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Well I've come to the conclusion it's not only an original but a one off as no other S2's come in this colour scheme!

To that end I'm willing to sell it for ten grand!

I'll also throw in an old set of cleats and slightly cracked helmet.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Not the cervelo typeface/logo, i would be on the side of a fake, or if's a genuine frame it's been resprayed and decaled by a third party
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    If none of the S2's have come with english thread BB (i have no idea myself) there is your answer?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Look at the letters c, e and r on the OPs bike and then look at the letters on the other pictures (or any other S2 images on google)

They are different on the OPs bike to any of other images. Does this mean it's a fake? no idea but it looks a bit odd.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Logo is wrong but it could have been resprayed. A friend has an S1 which he had resprayed and the paint shop also got the logo wrong. The serial number could have got covered up if resprayed.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo