Adventure Cross

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
edited August 2017 in Cyclocross
These events weren't really on my radar but I was watching a video a friend posted on facebook and they look quite fun. Just wondered if anyone here had done them could shed some light on what they are like.

Are they at all competitive or more audaxey in feel? What kind of bike would be best for them cross, road or gravel type? I do have a CdF (steel) that I could use though it's a bit of a barge and not really suited to anything technical more point it in a straight line and plough through.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• I did this years Grizedale Grizzly and really enjoyed it. I plan on doing most of the series next year. Used my Cube Reaction 29er, but dropped the tyre size to 1.95 running about 55Ib. I've just gone and bought an Adventure bike which I will probably use on the Galloway Gallop event and maybe the Peak District Pioneer. All the others I'd prefer to use my 29er to get ahead on the offroad sections.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I did the lakeland monster miles recently. Was a bit of an eye opener in terms of difficulty. I started cycling last year after buying a road bike, and having done a few sportives I thought a 45 mile ride was well within my compass. Wrong. 1500m of climbing, a lot of that off road and 20%+ in sections. A 45 mile road ride takes me around 3 hours, the monster miles took 5. I was shattered at the end.

In advance of the event I thought that as my road bike can take up to 32mm tyres I'd stick some cx tyres on and give it a go. However having watched some video footage I decided that my ageing hard tail 26er would be better option. And that for me at least was the right decision, although I saw many cx bikes and none in difficulty with the terrain.
  • mcstumpy
    Meant to add - was a friendly event, didn't feel competitive, and the mechanical back up was a god send. My chain was slipping at halfway feed, turned out one of the cogs on my freewheel had come loose. Poor mechanic had to improvise as didn't have tools to fit my early naughties set up, but did a good job and got me going again. Feed station was very well stocked too.

I wouldn't do it again as I've learned off road not my forte, I don't have the bike handling skills and suffered 2 offs (one downhill on grass, the other at low speed on a flat muddy single track), and also didn't appreciate how energy sapping off road can be when used to fast rolling road bike. But if a bit of off road is your thing, I would recommend
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    McStumpy wrote:
    I wouldn't do it again as I've learned off road not my forte, I don't have the bike handling skills and suffered 2 offs

That's probably a reason to drive it more. Your experience reminds me of doing the Strathpuffer (24 hour mountain bike race in Highlands in middle of winter - sometimes described as the toughest MTB race (I doubt it) and covered by the Adventure Show each year). I'm not an MTBer, instead using my MTB as a winter commuter with Ice Spikers fitted. I only agreed to do the event a week before it (as part of a team - one of whom was injured) and only managed to get two practice laps in before the big day. My Achilles heel was my MTB skills - in particular the technical rocky sections in the middle of the lap. Instead of letting the bike do the work (which I finally did when I was too knackered not to) I fought it. The mud was also horrendous - loads of chain-suck issues. Really satisfying to finish - amazing experience.

I need to hunt down this adventure cross stuff - it sounds right up my street.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I did the Moors and shores this year with a group of mates (great event). I did it on cross bike as did a couple of others, rest were on mtb's. Cross bike certainly better for that event as time made up on road and firmer trails more than made up for the muddy sections. Have to say some of the lads who were new to mtb's were slower than me on the rough bits, best to get out on your own a few times to get the feel of it.

Steve.
  • I like to do my own versions for training. The viewranger GPS app is great for finding local trails and tracks. I've just started offering these as club runs and they seem to be going down quite well. Bombing down gravel roads and along bridleways is a heck of a lot more fun that sat behind a wheel on a club run getting cold, wet and miserable at this time of year.
  • mcstumpy
    McStumpy wrote:
    I wouldn't do it again as I've learned off road not my forte, I don't have the bike handling skills and suffered 2 offs

That's probably a reason to drive it more. Your experience reminds me of doing the Strathpuffer (24 hour mountain bike race in Highlands in middle of winter - sometimes described as the toughest MTB race (I doubt it) and covered by the Adventure Show each year). I'm not an MTBer, instead using my MTB as a winter commuter with Ice Spikers fitted. I only agreed to do the event a week before it (as part of a team - one of whom was injured) and only managed to get two practice laps in before the big day. My Achilles heel was my MTB skills - in particular the technical rocky sections in the middle of the lap. Instead of letting the bike do the work (which I finally did when I was too knackered not to) I fought it. The mud was also horrendous - loads of chain-suck issues. Really satisfying to finish - amazing experience.

You must have been right as I'm going to enter again this year. Time dulls the memory I guess
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    McStumpy wrote:
    McStumpy wrote:

You must have been right as I'm going to enter again this year. Time dulls the memory I guess

If you're not falling, you're not trying! :lol: Keep at it!