Tyre Beading, Saveable?

w1lz
w1lz Posts: 37
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hi There,

Noticed some bulging on my continental gatorskins. Took Tyre off and some of the metal wire beading is showing. Is there anything I can patch this over with temporarily? These tyres are not old and cost a fair bit so pretty annoyed that this has happened!

Tyre.jpg

Any Help would be great!

Comments

• if its new or fairly new then my personal 1st port of call would be to get intouch with the retailer where i purchased it from & get the begger sent back as faulty & a replacement sent out my way or refund etc.

OK a external slice then you may have hit something sharp so you have to take it on the chin & bodge it up yourself if its possible to do so but that looks like its coming apart itself & it should not do that at all.
  • w1lz
    Should have explained, the tyres were new(ish) put on by previous owner who had the bike for less than a year! So yeah, no chance of taking them back!
  • mmmmmmmm, bugga, thats a problem then.

( still may be worth a sneaky chat with conti as a direct warranty claim though as you have nowt to loose but plenty to gain really )

BUT if all ends with nowt then i'll chirp in & suggest Self-amalgamating tape as a possible bodge type repair if your dead set on trying to fix it up ( possibly with some puncture patch glue to assist the repair staying put etc ) - hopefully someone with more knowledge on these things will chime in & suggest something better or talk you out of fixing it on safety grounds though.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    These tyres are not old and cost a fair bit so pretty annoyed that this has happened!

That doesn't really ring true though does it?
    w1lz wrote:
    Should have explained, the tyres were new(ish) put on by previous owner who had the bike for less than a year! So yeah, no chance of taking them back!

So they didn't cost you a fair bit, are second hand (if not third hand - you said new(ish) to the last owner), at least a year old and so may have covered several thousand miles. You have no idea if the previous owner damaged them by using an incorrect technique to fit them and the tyre is definitely damaged. What is there to be annoyed about? :roll:

Why would you even consider 'bodging' a repair on a tyre? Do you put so little value on your life? For £30 odd replace the tyre. That is the only reasonable, safe solution. Try Conti, but with no receipt, and being at least the second owner, how on earth can you expect them to honour any kind of guarantee?

PP
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I value my own safety over the cost of a new tyre
  • w1lz
    Pilot Pete wrote:

So they didn't cost you a fair bit, are second hand (if not third hand - you said new(ish) to the last owner), at least a year old and so may have covered several thousand miles. You have no idea if the previous owner damaged them by using an incorrect technique to fit them and the tyre is definitely damaged. What is there to be annoyed about? :roll:

Why would you even consider 'bodging' a repair on a tyre? Do you put so little value on your life? For £30 odd replace the tyre. That is the only reasonable, safe solution. Try Conti, but with no receipt, and being at least the second owner, how on earth can you expect them to honour any kind of guarantee?

PP

Oh here we go. There's always a know it all that pops up on these Internet forums. Hi Pete and welcome to my thread please pick it apart for no apparent reason and then leave...

If you must know... I bought this bike second hand from a friend of mine who rode it twice over 1 year (both times he rode with me). I chucked him a bit of extra cash for some gear including these tyres.

So yeah, take your narky little comment and do one.

Everyone else thanks for your help! Going to contact conti first off!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    w1lz wrote:
    Going to contact conti first off!

Cambrian Tyres, the Conti importers will not deal with the public. They will tell you to take it to a retailer. I had a tyre fail after 1500 miles and Cambrian Tyres said to me via Twitter what I've said above, luckily the retailer saw sense and replaced the tyre.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I wouldn't risk it. Bang a new tyre on there and just suck it up. You win some, you lose some.

The problem with the tyre bead is that its under high pressure, 80-100PSI, if its already buldging it won't get better and the last thing you want is for that to give way while cornering.

Stick a new tyre on and ride safe in the knowledge that it isn't (far less likely) going to disintegrate underneath you.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Tyres are consumables. Buy a nice new one and ride securely knowing you have decent rubber under you....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've had the same dilemma recently. Two pretty new Pro 4 SC tyres in rapid succession. One was less than 50 miles old. In each case something in the road sliced the sidewall and the tube went bang. The one with the smaller cut looks OK with one of the Park Tool tyre boot patches inside, but the other is properly sliced and will be binned. Properly annoying; it's like taking three tenners and putting a match to them.

I've replaced it with a Pro 4 Endurance in the hope it's more robust.

Back on the winter bike now with it's trusty 25mm GP 4 Seasons...
  • I'd be sticking a new tyre on if it were me - especially if a front tyre.

You might also want to check that the brake pads are lined up correctly on the braking surface and not overhanging slightly. A worn track around the circumference of the tyre like that can be an indication of poorly set up brakes - although it usually results in a spectacular blowout when the brake pad eventually wears through the tyre carcass, so perhaps not the case here.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Perhaps your friend still has the receipt ? or some kind of other proof of purchase like a bank statement. Ask him/her to try to warranty it.

a repair would not be safe.
  • pilot_pete
    w1lz wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

Oh here we go. There's always a know it all that pops up on these Internet forums. Hi Pete and welcome to my thread please pick it apart for no apparent reason and then leave...

If you must know... I bought this bike second hand from a friend of mine who rode it twice over 1 year (both times he rode with me). I chucked him a bit of extra cash for some gear including these tyres.

Know it all? :roll:
    Not quite mate, I just know my life is worth more than bodging a repair on a damaged tyre.

Pick it apart for no apparent reason?
    You asked, if you don't like a little dose of differing opinion then maybe you shouldn't post here. :roll:

Then leave...
    Don't see the tumbleweed yet... :wink:

If I must know...
    No, don't need to know. Fact is, tyre is second hand, damaged and potentially dangerous.

Rode twice in one year...
    Possibly perished then!

You'll get nowhere with a warranty claim, but if your time is worth so little, go ahead and have fun trying.

Use duct tape for your 'temporary' repair, fit tyre and have the thrill of never quite being sure at which point exactly it is going to fail... :roll:

And exactly how temporary was it going to be? Until you buy a new tyre? :roll:

Take your little narky comment and do one...
    You get angry at a lot of innocuous things don't you? Damaged tyres, people advising you to value your life more than £30...

Nobody in their right mind would advise bodging a repair to a tyre, but you go ahead and try it if you really, honestly think it is worth it. Try to be a little more level headed and put yourself in the shoes of the manufacturer;

Yes, it was made by them, fact
    No, you don't know where it was bought and have no proof of purchase
    You were not the original purchaser
    The tyre was bought second hand from a mate who 'only rode it twice', which is unverifiable
    You cannot prove that all manufacturers installation instructions were followed correctly. In fact you have no idea if your mate installed it correctly
    The tyre is damaged beyond economical repair and to do so would probably be dangerous

What more do you need to hear before just taking it on the chin, buying a new tyre and getting on with life? Oh, and if you don't like hearing a few 'home truths' don't ask... :roll:

PP

p.s. I promise not to post on your 'best place for crash repairs' thread should it follow... :mrgreen:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,867
    Matt black paint should cover it up nicely.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,361
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Matt black paint should cover it up nicely.
    No need for black paint if you use black gaffer tape.
    3m-cloth-gaffers-tape-6910.jpg?boundedSize=310
    Seriously though, just buy a new tyre. You haven't paid retail for it so you'll just have to put it down to experience.
  • Paid extra for the tyres!
  • pilot_pete
    Paid extra for the tyres!

Some mate eh? :roll:
  • w1lz
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    w1lz wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

Know it all? :roll:
    Not quite mate, I just know my life is worth more than bodging a repair on a damaged tyre.

Pick it apart for no apparent reason?
    You asked, if you don't like a little dose of differing opinion then maybe you shouldn't post here. :roll:

Then leave...
    Don't see the tumbleweed yet... :wink:

If I must know...
    No, don't need to know. Fact is, tyre is second hand, damaged and potentially dangerous.

Rode twice in one year...
    Possibly perished then!

You'll get nowhere with a warranty claim, but if your time is worth so little, go ahead and have fun trying.

Use duct tape for your 'temporary' repair, fit tyre and have the thrill of never quite being sure at which point exactly it is going to fail... :roll:

And exactly how temporary was it going to be? Until you buy a new tyre? :roll:

Take your little narky comment and do one...
    You get angry at a lot of innocuous things don't you? Damaged tyres, people advising you to value your life more than £30...

Nobody in their right mind would advise bodging a repair to a tyre, but you go ahead and try it if you really, honestly think it is worth it. Try to be a little more level headed and put yourself in the shoes of the manufacturer;

Yes, it was made by them, fact
    No, you don't know where it was bought and have no proof of purchase
    You were not the original purchaser
    The tyre was bought second hand from a mate who 'only rode it twice', which is unverifiable
    You cannot prove that all manufacturers installation instructions were followed correctly. In fact you have no idea if your mate installed it correctly
    The tyre is damaged beyond economical repair and to do so would probably be dangerous

What more do you need to hear before just taking it on the chin, buying a new tyre and getting on with life? Oh, and if you don't like hearing a few 'home truths' don't ask... :roll:

PP

p.s. I promise not to post on your 'best place for crash repairs' thread should it follow... :mrgreen:

For advice purposes only: you've just wasted your life writing an essay i am never going to read... Thanks

Everyone else thanks for the advice
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    How'd you know he's written an essay if you haven't read it? He could have just copied and pasted something out of War and Peace to make you think he's written something...
  • pilot_pete
    Thanks for the advice, all taken on board...

Now tell the truth, you couldn't help yourself but read it could you.... :mrgreen:

Oh and just for advice purposes....I can type really fast....no I mean REALLY fast. :wink:

PP