Kuota Kougar 2016

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
In my hunt for a new road bike, my LBS has come up with this as an option.

I like the look of it and they can do me a deal on one however they do not have any in stock for me to try so I am wondering does anyone have one and if so what are your thoughts?

Geometry seems to be good for me with much compromise but I am wondering what the ride is like, is it stiff around the BB and chainstays, does it beat you up or is it comfortable etc?

Its going to be used as a race bike, but also will be my nice bike for the summer as well so I do want a degree of comfort as well as a direct race bike.
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    I can't help you with what you want to know but that's an unfortunate choice of name
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have a mate who has one, and when he hired a pinarello he was amazed by how much more comfortable it was. So if you want comfort I'm not sure it has it.
  • JesseD
    Bondurant wrote:
    I can't help you with what you want to know but that's an unfortunate choice of name

Haha, I quite like the fact I can tell the boys that I will be riding a kougar on the weekend :lol:
  • JesseD
    stevie63 wrote:
    I have a mate who has one, and when he hired a pinarello he was amazed by how much more comfortable it was. So if you want comfort I'm not sure it has it.

Do you know which Pinarello he rode in comparison?

The bike will be my summer bike and also my race bike so comfort whilst a factor is not top of my priority list, the longest rides I do are around 4 hours occasionally, everything else is focused towards racing so is under 3 hours.

I ride an alu Felt Z75 with Fulcrum racing Quattro wheels at present, I have always found that comfortable until I rode a carbon Kuota Khan last weekend, getting back on the Felt on Tuesday and I could instantly feel more road buzz through the contact points, that said its not uncomfortable, just different.

Be good to understand the contrast between the Pinarello and the Kuota, what tyres/wheels were on both and at what pressure etc?

Sorry for all the questions.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am not sure about the serviceability (or benefit really) of the chainstay mounted brakes.

It's not that pretty.

Can't you get the Khan in a size that fits? It's a great looking bike.
  • JesseD
    coriordan wrote:
    I am not sure about the serviceability (or benefit really) of the chainstay mounted brakes.

It's not that pretty.

Can't you get the Khan in a size that fits? It's a great looking bike.

I can but the cost puts it well outside my price range, the medium Kahn I tested was an ex-demo that had done less than 200 miles so was immaculate, it came with Udi2, DA 9000 chain set, Deda finishing kit and Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon wheels, and the deal I was getting on it was close to half retail (frame-set RRP is circa £2600). The deal was on that frame-set alone as it was the ex-demo, I must admit that it it had fitted me I would have snapped it up as it was simply a great frame-set, very stiff yet comfortable, extremely light and looked fantastic in gloss black. I even considered chopping a couple of inches off my legs

Ideally I would like the calipers in the normal place and they can do that with the front instead of the aero ones in the forks, I did speak to the guys in the shop the rear calipers and they are pretty honest guys and they seem to think it will be fine, plus the Ultegra direct mount brakes get good reviews so i think it should be fine.
  • JesseD
    with regards to looks, I would be getting the black on black version instead of the green/white/black or the black/red versions, I quite like stealth bikes and it does look good in all black.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    JesseD wrote:
    stevie63 wrote:

Do you know which Pinarello he rode in comparison?

The bike will be my summer bike and also my race bike so comfort whilst a factor is not top of my priority list, the longest rides I do are around 4 hours occasionally, everything else is focused towards racing so is under 3 hours.

I ride an alu Felt Z75 with Fulcrum racing Quattro wheels at present, I have always found that comfortable until I rode a carbon Kuota Khan last weekend, getting back on the Felt on Tuesday and I could instantly feel more road buzz through the contact points, that said its not uncomfortable, just different.

Be good to understand the contrast between the Pinarello and the Kuota, what tyres/wheels were on both and at what pressure etc?

Sorry for all the questions.
    It was a Pinarello Marvel. I don't know what tyres were on it but he runs GP4000's on the Kuota.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Didn't you buy a Kuota Khan already - there's pics of it in the bike pics forum.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Didn't fit. Too big
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Imposter wrote:
    Didn't you buy a Kuota Khan already - there's pics of it in the bike pics forum.

Road bikes post preceded this post so I'm confused too!
  • JesseD
    Imposter wrote:

Road bikes post preceded this post so I'm confused too!

I did and decided it was too small for me and as it was ex-demo the shop took it back are are sourcing me something else around the same budget, would have loved another Khan but that would have been a new one which would have pushed it out of my price range drastically.

When I bought the Khan I kind of thought it was too small but it was such a good deal I was willing it to fit, however after having it for a short while I just couldn't shake the feeling it was too small.

The Khan is a phenomenal bike, maybe I should have just copped an inch or too off my legs instead?