About to buy (I think) a 4iii precision power meter

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Just before I press the button, I wanted to check forum advice about my planned purchase of a 4iii precision single side power meter. My thinking is as follows:

* I want mainly to use it to help me dose my effort in TTs

* However, I also want to be able to swap it between bikes (TT bike, summer racer mainly but also perhaps the winter commuter) just to help me train effectively

* I am mechanically not very gifted (!) and therefore not keen to be swapping a dual sided crank system. I've considered pedals, but the dual sided pedals are a lot of money, and the cheapest single side (Favero BePro) is roughly the same price as the 4iii

* I am relatively tight and don't want to spend too much money (in other words, the 4iii comes in at slightly less than similar offers from Stages and Pioneer, which is why I'm plumping for this).

* The DCRainmaker review of the 4iii suggests it is no better and no worse than any of the other single side systems

* I'm aware that it is possible that my right side may be stronger than my left side, but I really only want this to help my training and primarily to dose my TTs so that shouldn't be an issue.

* I've asked around in my local club and had a whole range of good advice, but this mainly has directed me towards dual sided, which I need to decline for the moment because of price, lack of mechanical skill and not really needing that level of data.

I'm just conscious that this is a pretty big purchase and I want to get it right. I've looked around the threads here for advice, but just wanted to hear forum views of anything else I should consider before I press "buy".

Comments

• For pacing I think single sided would be fine. If you're really in to TTing and want to do home aero testing, then changes in position could effect your leg preference, masking any aero gains / losses.

Power2max? Although with the exchange rate what it is, this is actually more expensive than 4iiii dual sides (assuming you send your cranks off).
  • I have a 4iiii Precision (single sided) and I can't fault it so far... Swapped it a couple of times between my regular bike (Giant Revolt) and the one lashed to the turbo (a Genesis Mantle) with no issues - as long as all your cranksets are Hollowtech II and the same crank length, and you're not OCD in case one is silver and one is black (or they're different iterations of 105, etc) you should be golden.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    I have a 4iiii Precision (single sided) and I can't fault it so far... Swapped it a couple of times between my regular bike (Giant Revolt) and the one lashed to the turbo (a Genesis Mantle) with no issues - as long as all your cranksets are Hollowtech II and the same crank length, and you're not OCD in case one is silver and one is black (or they're different iterations of 105, etc) you should be golden.
    That's really helpful to hear, thanks. (although now you've got me worrying about silver and black...)
  • Well - there are two ways to fix that... Buy 2 power meters... Or buy another RH crank/spider to match :)

One will set you back about £75, the other £350 (assuming 105)