XT brake/Hope wheel issue.

nickyhoward55
nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning!

Yesterday I swapped the front wheel on my Whyte T130 to a Hope Pro4 Enduro. Once fitted, the disc was scrubbing the inner pad. I loosened the caliper and centered it over the disc and while there was still a little scrubbing I assumed it would go once riding. However, the bite point is now about 5mm off the bars. I know people have issues with m8000 brakes and bite points but mine have been rock solid for almost a year.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, it can take a while for the pistons to self adjust to the new disc location - normal.

Should sort itself in a short ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I had the same issue with my pro 2 evo wheels, I wonder if they are very slightly smaller diameter than other hubs so the disc is closer at one side of the pads.

Your front disc isn't slightly warped is it, could explain the rub at one side.
  • swod1 wrote:
    I had the same issue with my pro 2 evo wheels, I wonder if they are very slightly smaller diameter than other hubs so the disc is closer at one side of the pads.

Your front disc isn't slightly warped is it, could explain the rub at one side.

I'm thinking the same about the hub spacing....but then I'm guessing every wheel will be different.

Disc is not warped much at all, maybe 0.25mm at most. It's easy to centre the caliper, it's just the weird drop in bite point that I was worrried about. Went out for a little spin round the estate last night and it improved slightly but seems to need a little pumping to get it working ok. I'm guessing it needs a bleed :( off to Dalby on Saturday so we will see what happens haha.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'd just ride the bike and put the brake on a few times so the pistons adjust to the disc position just like if you had fitted some new pads.

It was the back wheel I had issue with but changed frames so bolt through axle has sorted it now as wheel is in same place.