Budget womens CX option, or something else?

tenohfive
tenohfive Posts: 152
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
In my quest to have the purse strings loosened for my own N+1 plans I've talked the missus into letting me buy her a bike. She's after something that'll manage day rides on the road and will be reasonably nippy (so I'm not getting fidgety waiting for her) but which can deal with the odd bit of iffily tarmaced or short-ish gravel trail on a daily commute. And if - with the right tyres (Schwalbe G-One's maybe?) can manage some easy, smooth-ish countryside trails.

First of all - without going silly money, is that possible? If not - the last requirement can go.

With a budget of up to £700 are there any options that would fit the bill?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Just buy a road bike with clearance for 28c tyres. Most 'sportive' orientated bikes will have bigger tyre clearance nowadays. No need for CX bike if its going to be on road 99% of the time. Something like a Giant Defy springs to mind.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It depends how much trail riding you plan to do my diverge is fast and smooth onroad and handles smoother off road trails well.

What my wife disliked about road bikes coming from mountain biking was a lack of standover height and how poor rim brakes are compared to hydraulic disc brakes, this was using ultegra rim brakes.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    Mine has no point of reference braking wise, but I'm veering towards rim brakes for her. If disc is in budget then I'd consider it for a bit of extra confidence but I'm balancing that against the weight penalty.

If most 28mm equipped road bikes will do (it will mostly be on road) then how does this look as a shortlist:

Liv Avail 1 105
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Boardman Road Team Carbon (Tiagra)
    Trek Lexa SL (Tiagra)