2»

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Giraffoto wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    I've hit four badgers with the worst causing £3k of damage

Hate the ferkers

For one reason and another . . .and another and another . . .I can't imagine they're your biggest fans either. Where do you live that's so badgery?

there are far too many, they cause a great deal of damage (though i not convinced about the TB link) but people have unrealistic views of certain animals and not others, So, no problem poisoning the common rat or shooting grey squirrels but gas a few badgers and there are riots in the streets!

the damage to my skoda Octavia was £2400....... anyone who hits one whilst on a bike and didnt go over the bars, has Sagan like bike handling skills! they are rock solid, it would be like hitting a bag of cement.
  • Didn't have time yesterday, but I have another, more dramatic animal-on-the-road story. This July, I was about 30 miles into a 160 mile ride, cruising along in the morning sun, thinking of the things you do on a long ride, like how far to the next junction, whether I need to eat anything yet, and the state of the road (good, recently resurfaced). The next thing I know I'm sitting in the road, talking to a paramedic, who is asking difficult questions like "what is your name?" On the verge across the road lies my bike, and a little way down the road, three large pigs, giving a farmer the runaround. It seems I'd either hit one or come off taking evasive action, but I have no memory of the actual crash.

Piecing events together, my Garmin says I crashed at 8.47am, and the 999 call was timed, according to the local paper, at 8.51. The lady who made the call, who I spoke to a couple of days later, says the paramedics arrived within five minutes, but by the time I was aware of anything, there was an ambulance and police car there too, so I'm guessing I 'lost' about 15 or 20 minutes. I may not have been unconscious the entire time though, as my bike had a fair amount of blood on it, especially on the bars, which suggests I may have attempted to ride away, or at least moved it out of the road, as during a crash I would have parted company with it before I began bleeding.

As for injuries, considering I was travelling at 33mph at the time, I think I got off lightly. I had fractures to the nose, eyebrow ridge, and several below the eye socket, as well as three cracked ribs and two cracked vertebrae, one in the neck and one half way down the back. I also had a range of bruises, and many cuts, including inside my mouth, and I broke a tooth. All the injuries were on the left side, so from the pattern it seems I landed face first, then flipped over. If you saw the crash in the Olympics of Annamiek van Vleuten, it was probably similar to that, since her injuries were similar.

My bike was not badly damaged; the brake lever was bent round the bar, the rear Di2 wasn't functioning because a wire had become dislodged, and I had to replace the bar tape and hoods, which were shredded, but the frame and mechs were fine. The pigs, I was told later, had escaped from their pen by digging earth over an electric fence, disabling it. The farmer, when I wrote to him suggesting he might like to make a contribution to the repairs to my bike, didn't bother to reply. Aren't some people lovely?

I spent two days and a night in hospital (morphine is awesome, by the way!) and about 2 weeks off work, although I was back riding after 6 days, if rather uncomfortably. The police, who brought my bike safely home two days later (the same officers who were at the scene) the paramedics and hospital staff were all brilliant. It was my first serious crash in more than 30 years of cycling. And I still like bacon sandwiches...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    The farmer, when I wrote to him suggesting he might like to make a contribution to the repairs to my bike, didn't bother to reply. Aren't some people lovely?
    What a tosser. Talk to an ambulance chaser if he doesn't even have the manners to reply. Surely he has some responsibility to keep his livestock off the road. An injury claim will cost him a lot more than the repairs to your bike, might teach him that he should have done the right thing in the first place.
    Glad you still like bacon sandwiches, sounds nasty.