Giant Propel Advanced - Tire Recommendation so that Brake Cable doesn't rub!

nickc3
nickc3 Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in Road general
So, I just went through 3 tires that looks like they were shredded. Mind you, I bought the bike second hand, and seller gave me some used tubular tires with it. So, at first, I thought it was just older worn tires. But, the third rear tire - Conti Grand Prix were almost new. So when that happened, I suspected, then based on Googling, kinda confirmed that some tires are taller and they rub the brake cable when under load / heavy braking. Really unbelievably poor design. Since I'm second hand owner of bike, I can't do a warranty claim / fuss about it as I heard Giant is receptive to sending out new brakesets that address this.

SO....wondering from other Propel owners....experience with this and what tires do you use that are NOT too tall that prevent rubbing. I just put a Vittoria Corsa on and it seems OK. But I'm gunshy about applying too much pressure on rear brakes which is ridiculous. I heard Shwabe Ones are good / fit well as well.

My wheelset is Reynolds (not the stock wheels)...perhaps that contributes to the issues.

Thanks all!!!!!

Comments

• Surely you can come up with a plausible story to Giant why you don't have the original purchase details? (Moved house, bereavement,divorce - lay it on with a trowel, guilt trip them :)) I know I own 3 Giant bikes and none of them are registered any way with Giant... one was a secondhand purchase, one from another country - and both of those have had warranty related rectifications without any questions asked other than "when did you buy it" and I came up with a plausible answer based on the model & year.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Are you trying to fit 25 mm tyres?

I have a 2015 Propel which came with 23 mm tyres. I had problems with the brakes after the first winter meaning I had to get them replaced. My local Giant shop fitted the old version by mistake, which weren't designed for 25 mm tyres, so I wrecked a rear tyre. When this came to light, Giant did some investigating and found that the brake callipers had been revised to allow 25 mm tyres, and put them on for me FOC.