Mudguard Hanger Not Long Enough

cyclingvet
cyclingvet Posts: 131
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Got a problem with Whisky No 9 fork with mudguard mounts I purchased for a new titanium disc winter bike I'm building.

The mounting hole on the crown is fart too high in my opinion. Standard mudguard hangers are not long enough. I have emailed Whisky in the USA and they said the PDW Full Metal Fenders should fit.....well they don't (not on this fork at least). The hanger would need to be another 6-7mm long to cover the mounting hole and allow a nut to be screwed in

Does anyone know of an easy fix that doesn't involve drilling out the rivets of the existing hanger and trying a bodge with a longer hanger and which also doesn't involve wrecking the fork. Steerer already cut so can't ask for money back and buy a different fork.

Any tips gratefully received

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,881
    edited October 2016
    I recall some of my past SKS sets coming with a straight piece of metal, with a slot down the middle, which I would imagine you could use as an extender of sorts - that sounds like what you need, something you can bolt into the forl, which you can then bolt the mudguard too.

Do you have an old piece of metal floating about you could drill and use?

Something akin to this:
    8778822235_0a5040dda8_c.jpg

If you did it behind the fork, it would be a lot less obvious.

Maybe this would do the trick, but they seem to be out of stock:
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-stainless-steel-rear-mudguard-chainstay-bridge-fitting-clip/

Ebay seller has it for £4 delivered, might be worth asking for the length of that flat piece of metal so you can see if it is long enough.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKS-MUDGUARD-CHAINSTAY-BRIDGE-FITTING-CLIP-STAINLESS-STEEL-BRAND-NEW-/112168989627?hash=item1a1dcaf3bb:g:VvoAAOSwGtRXw2O6

Or something like this would do the trick, IF it's the right length, though with multiple holes it gives a fair bit of adjustment, and it's stainless of course:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Pieces-Silver-Tone-Stainless-Steel-Straight-Support-Shelf-Bracket-3-/322280709965?hash=item4b096d5f4d:g:bfgAAOSwLF1X8TKU
    s-l1600.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks a lot, Daniel,for a very comprehensive reply. I'll try these out.
  • daniel_b
    cyclingvet wrote:
    Thanks a lot, Daniel,for a very comprehensive reply. I'll try these out.

No worries CV, pleased to hopefully be of assistance, post some pics if you get the chance of the completed product :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SJS also sell Problem solvers Fender Flute, it's a piece of aluminium that sits inside the steerer tube with threaded holes for a bolt through the fork crown and the mudguard bracket to bolt into.

fender_flute_and_boss_mount_029.jpg

Not cheap but I bought one and cut it in half and used it on two bikes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daniel_b
    redvee wrote:
    SJS also sell Problem solvers Fender Flute, it's a piece of aluminium that sits inside the steerer tube with threaded holes for a bolt through the fork crown and the mudguard bracket to bolt into.

fender_flute_and_boss_mount_029.jpg

Not cheap but I bought one and cut it in half and used it on two bikes.

Very neat, never seen that - what did you cut it with, dremel\hacksaw?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A piece of mechano does the trick as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Daniel B wrote:
    Very neat, never seen that - what did you cut it with, dremel\hacksaw?

Dremel as I haven't got a hacksaw and too small to hold without a vice if I did have one. You can only see the bolt head on the back of the fork as all the other bits are hidden by the fork legs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could probably copy that with a piece of plastic water pipe!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.