Come into the light(s)

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited October 2016 in Commuting chat
not off topic at all because its related to my man cave, which while practically my own LBS the lighting consists of one light socket with a single 1200lm bulb, which looks crap and makes working in there very difficult in all but the brightest of days.

I really dont want to be doing major rewiring and i already have an inspection lamp, fine but not ideal.

I need plenty of spread light from above and optionally switched side or low lighting.

Suggestions?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Do you have power sockets in there ?
  • itboffin
    Fenix wrote:
    Do you have power sockets in there ?

yes four, two off an extension i did
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Can't go wrong with fluorescent in my opinion. I have 12 in my garage (double) and the lighting is perfect. I also have some LED spots above the dartboard focused on the board alone and one fluorescent above my work bench.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I think you're probably looking at fluorescent tubes, or LED ceiling tiles.

Neither takes huge amounts of juice, so (based on no information at all) they'll probably be ok running from your existing lighting circuit.
    If you're OK with the "ghetto" look then can you can just suspend them on ropes or something (only half joking)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Oh and a 500w security lamp (inside) with motion detector so that when I arrive home on the bike in the dark the garage lights up straight away as soon as I open the door enabling me to turn the alarm off, it goes off as soon as I turn the main lighting on.
  • itboffin
    yeah the LED thing has been a PITA to be honest, I fitted two sets under the kitchen units, one turned out blue and the other very very soft, mind you better than nothing but not what the cave needs.

Think F1 pit lane
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I've got 2 double 6' flourescent tubes in a single garage and they give plenty of light, lead light to supplement if I'm working in my own shade.
  • itboffin
    i'm thinking its also time to paint the walls and floor

WHITE
  • itboffin
    i just fitted two of the eight down lights into our bathrooms, really not impressed
  • davis
    We've got LED ceiling tile lights in our build rooms. Very bright, very even totally flat light. Honestly they can be very good indeed.
  • itboffin
    davis wrote:
    We've got LED ceiling tile lights in our build rooms. Very bright, very even totally flat light. Honestly they can be very good indeed.

I suspect given the function of a build room the budget was somewhat bigger than mine :wink:
  • davis
    itboffin wrote:
    davis wrote:

I suspect given the function of a build room the budget was somewhat bigger than mine :wink:

Maybe... Pretty sure the lights are just these though:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-led-le ... kpid=8340J
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've just bought 3 of these from lidl to replace the single tube in the garage. I've powered one up, seems good for the price.
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=37901 . Couldn't give you a LED colour rating from it though.

work's just replaced all their strip lights with some 25W QVIS panels from screwfix ,which is a remarkable improvement in output, and the colour temp is very consistent across the 400 they've replaced.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    well i never, bought a couple of boxes of LED bulbs, warm for the house and cool for kitchen and man-cave talk about transformation, as bright as an operating room with just one bulb.

instantly on and lower power than the energy saving bulbs they're replacing