Rapha Pro Team Race Cape washing and water reproofing?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited October 2016 in Commuting chat
Rapha Pro Team Race Cape care advice please:
How should it be washed?
And what should it be water reproofed with, if it should? Mine's not beading now so I guess it should.
Thanks.

Comments

• ben-----
    OK, thanks.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i've never been able to reproof any of my wet weather kit especially the gabba
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • For Gabba-type stuff aren't you supposed to iron or tumble dry at low heat rather than re-proof?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    itboffin wrote:
    Likewise. Once it has gone, it has gone. A fortune in Nik wash-in and spray on products. No difference. Castelli recommend reproofing and tumble drying or cool ironing. Made no difference.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ben-----
    PBlakeney wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Likewise. Once it has gone, it has gone. A fortune in Nik wash-in and spray on products. No difference. Castelli recommend reproofing and tumble drying or cool ironing. Made no difference.

Does that apply to the Rapha race cape do you know? Is there no point in getting that Nikwax as advised by shamrock134? shamrock134, have you successfully washed and re water proofed the race cape, or has anyone else? I haven't actually used the jacket that much, had it ages, hardly used it and it's not really water proof anymore. Don't think, if memory serves, I've washed it once yet.
  • itboffin
    pretty much the same for any brand
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Someone was recommending grainger spray on waterproof last week I think.
  • I have a race cape but I've not needed to re-proof it yet. I've re-proofed a Gore GoreTex rain jacket though.

Have a look at Castelli's care guide for their waterproof gear and Nanoflex.

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/CastelliC ... Care-Guide
  • pblakeney
    ben----- wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Does that apply to the Rapha race cape do you know? Is there no point in getting that Nikwax as advised by shamrock134? shamrock134, have you successfully washed and re water proofed the race cape, or has anyone else? I haven't actually used the jacket that much, had it ages, hardly used it and it's not really water proof anymore. Don't think, if memory serves, I've washed it once yet.
    Certainly applies to the Rain Jacket.
    Which is now a wind breaker/shower proof, but has had quite a few washes.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ben-----
    PBlakeney wrote:
    ben----- wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Certainly applies to the Rain Jacket.
    Which is now a wind breaker/shower proof, but has had quite a few washes.

Bloody hell, I've hardly used it. As I said, don't think I've washed it once. :(
  • pblakeney
    ben----- wrote:
    Bloody hell, I've hardly used it. As I said, don't think I've washed it once. :(
    Yup! The Rain Jacket was pretty much the breaking point for me with Rapha.
    I complained after one ride and their reply didn't help. (Use it as intended) I used it in the rain. :?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't Rapha owners just dispatch the butler to get a replacement?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • itboffin
    no we wear them once they throw away