Pointy Hats

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
After 5 years off I'm going back through a tri-curious phase and looking at sprint / olympic triathlons.

I've picked up a second hand TT bike (Fuji Norcom Straight 2.3) and now I'm looking at TT helmets. Budget is £150-£200 and the two that have caught my eye are the Giro Aerohead and the Lazer Wasp Air.

My positioning isn't great, though I'm working on it, so I'm looking at a short tail. I want a visor, because mirrored visors look cool (as cool as you can be in a unitard). My issue is that I run warm and so I'm concerned I'll steam up.

Anyone used both in anger and have any feedback?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm sure i've seen tests from Spesh that say visors are less aero ? (and there have been issues with visors coming off)

And without wind tunnel tests - you never really know what helmet suits you best.

So I go no visor - I've worn a Giro aerohelmet in 30 degrees plus and that was fine - not sure I'd have coped with a visor though.
  • asprilla
    Giro apparently designed the Aerohead to be more aero with the visor and British Cycling used the visors on the Lazer in Rio.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The Lazer Wasp is usually best suited to those that hold a very still position and ensures the tail is not in the air.

Most people find that a Bell Javelin works well, personally I would have a look on the time trialling forum and pick up something 2nd hand to test. If it's not right you can most likely sell it for the same cost.

This is me using a Bell Javelin

IMG_7605.jpg

Example of someone I know using a Lazer Wasp

IMG_8455.jpg
  • asprilla
    The Wasp Air is the short tail version (actually you can but the long tail a a clip on) for head wobblers.

Comparison of Wasp and Wasp Air
    DSCF3845.1.jpg

I looked at the Javelin, but a lot of triathletes complain about getting it on and off quickly in T1, particularly round the ears. It is my third choice.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There is an aero helmet test in this week's Cycling Weekly. Based on that, and what most people seem to say, buy a Bell Javelin and learn to keep in position.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

IMG_8455.jpg

Christ, what is he wearing?

What's the point of the bare knees at that point? Just go the whole hog.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471

IMG_8455.jpg

Christ, what is he wearing?

What's the point of the bare knees at that point? Just go the whole hog.

Knees would add resistance, the socks saved 4 watts. It all adds up!
  • Controversial option... Evade Tri. I chose to use it for an Ironman rather than a full TT helmet. Did it cost me time? Perhaps, but I expect it was more comfortable in the heat.

The magnetic buckle is awesome.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... -2016/45X2
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Helmets all individual to each rider.

I would go for a comfortable one unless you're going to aero test them yourself. As whatever people on here say they don't know the fastest one for you. Given you'll be doing tri, its not all that important really what is the fastest down to a watt as its all in the run anyway.

The Wasp and S works are slower for me than the Giro Selector.

Btw the wasp is VERY painful to get on and off, I wouldn't consider it even if it was the quickest.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm sure i've seen tests from Spesh that say visors are less aero ? (and there have been issues with visors coming off)

And without wind tunnel tests - you never really know what helmet suits you best.

So I go no visor - I've worn a Giro aerohelmet in 30 degrees plus and that was fine - not sure I'd have coped with a visor though.

Untrue. The Spec S-Works TT happens to be pretty much the only helmet that's drag neutral without the visor, but all others tested suffered when removed (AeroCoach released data on it a while ago). Considering the design process of the Aerohead, I'd be surprised if it was as quick without the eye shield.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I have 2 unused ones here, a Large Giro Advantage with a visor bought 3rd party taped on (all unused), and a Medium Giro Selector which of course has a visor anyway (used twice). Both are black and I'm going to list them both in classifieds when I can be bothered.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    Asprilla wrote:
    looked at the Javelin, but a lot of triathletes complain about getting it on and off quickly in T1, particularly round the ears. It is my third choice.

I had a javelin, dead easy to get on and off quickly. Easiest TT helmet to get on and off of those I've owned. Now got a wasp, that takes time if you have ears!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Very good deal on the Javelin at Mantel - £59