SRAM 1x vs standard double

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited October 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi,

I did do a search but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. What are the specific differences between the two groupsets? Narrow-wide chainring, clutch rear mech and no internals in the left shifter? I ask as I am looking in to CX bikes and like the idea of the simplicity of a 1x set up. However, I might in the future want to use it on the road were a double would be more useful.

If I get the double, buy a narrow-wide chainring (and maybe a clutch rear) and take the derailleur off will they be almost equivalent? Is there an issue of chain line? Are the chainsets the same? As the shifters are the most expensive part of the system I would like to get the expensive parts as 'future-proof' (for my needs) as possible.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Yes you can do the above but if your intending to use the bike for stuff other than CX I'd just stick with a double. The benefits of a single ring are negligible anyway for normal use. The benefits only really kick in when your doing mega clarty cross racing as its just one less point to get clogged and the shorter chain/clutch keeps the chain seated better (well in my experience anyway). I don't really get the MTB style trend of fitting a big single front ring and a huge range cassette as this setup doesn't really save any weight when you consider an 11-40 cassette typically weight half a kilo.
  • Depends on the groupset. My cx bike has a sram 1x with 44 teeth at front and a 10-42 at back so there is an abnormally wide range. Its heavier BUT means it goes well on road and gravel. It does mean that i am rarely in most of the gears in cx though.