Zipp 404 NSW or Enve SES 4.5?

288GTO
288GTO Posts: 79
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm building my dream bike and need some opinion on the wheels. I've narrowed it down to to either Zipp NSW 404's or Enve SES 4.5's. Anyone here with experience riding these two premium wheels? What do you think? Currently rolling on a pair of 2016 Zipp 303's.

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I can't comment on the zipps but have a pair of 4.5 (old brake track). Absolutely great wheels, far more stable in a cross wind than I expected, seem to have a nice aero effect and are very stiff. The stiffness makes them a genuine all purpose wheel as they climb really well. Very pleased with them. The only thing I would ding them for is wet weather braking which is fairly non-existent, the new brake track allegedly significantly improves that.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Buy whatever looks better. Blind test I doubt I could ever tell the difference. Try to ignore things like 'they climb well' its marketing guff and means very little.

That said, my Enve wheels require far more maintenance than any zipps I've had.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have had both enve and zipp and did not like either,for me campagnolo bora ultra the best wheels out there imo
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    okgo wrote:
    Buy whatever looks better. Blind test I doubt I could ever tell the difference. Try to ignore things like 'they climb well' its marketing guff and means very little.

That said, my Enve wheels require far more maintenance than any zipps I've had.

I found the opposite. I've had 6.7's, 4.5's CK Hubs and the 4.5's Enve carbon hubs. All required minimal maintenance. Friends with Zipps are constantly having to have the bearings changed. The Enve carbon units are guaranteed for 4 years with no maintenance schedule or requirement to tighten. They have been as good as gold.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'd agree, I've had my 4.5's for a year and not done a thing to them other than slightly tighten the preload on the rear hub (CK). I think that took 3, maybe 4 seconds....
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Neither. Buy Reynolds Aeros instead.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Stueys wrote:
    I'd agree, I've had my 4.5's for a year and not done a thing to them other than slightly tighten the preload on the rear hub (CK). I think that took 3, maybe 4 seconds....

If you are riding them in anger, perhaps its different. But I'm forever adjusting the poxy things after races
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • 288GTO
    I ended up ordering the Zipp 404 NSW's. Will report on the wheels after a few rides. Thanks!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Currently rolling on a pair of 2016 Zipp 303's

Are these not dreamy enough ? :o
  • 288GTO
    trailflow wrote:
    Currently rolling on a pair of 2016 Zipp 303's

Are these not dreamy enough ? :o

The 303's will end up on my endurance bike.