Ultegra triple or newer tiagra compact

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited October 2016 in Road general
I have a 2007 trek madone fitted with ultegra triple groupset. This is my winter bike my summer bike has 11spd 105. I am thinking of fitting a 10spd compact to the winter bike so it is more like my summer bike. Please can anyone tell is it worth fitting a tiagra compact groupset to the trek or should I leave it as triple ultegra . I do have a complete tiagra set available to use. I would like to go compact and loose the triple but am a little worried that it won't perform as well as the ultegra . The Ultegra is 2007 and the tiagra is 2015. Will the tiagra sufice or should i stick with the ultegra .Many thanks.

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    If you can afford it I'd go for 105 on the winter bike too, having everything 11 speed makes life easier for spares and stuff.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    If you can afford it I'd go for 105 on the winter bike too, having everything 11 speed makes life easier for spares and stuff.
    I agree with you Chris good point about spares but I don't think it is worth spending that sort of money on this bike. I already have the tiagra groupset I really just want to know if it is worth fitting it or would the ultegra be more durable for a winter bike and need less adjustments. I have never used tiagra before hence me asking the question I don't want to swap everything over and be disappointed. Thanks .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If its Tiagra 4700 then I would definitely do it.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    If its Tiagra 4700 then I would definitely do it.
    It's a 4600 I think but in as new condition.
  • Anonymous
    As you already have it I guess its going to mean trying it if you really want two chainrings.

How about Ultegra 11 speed on the summer bike and put the 11 speed 105 on the winter one?
    Is the 105 compact or semi compact?
  • Anonymous
    My logic is that you are spending the money on your summer bike, not the winter one.
    Both bikes get an upgrade.
    You could go semi compact on the summer bike (and maybe change other things like crank length and cassette ratios) if its not already.
    You get group set brakes on the summer bike (if they are not already 5800 105 brakes).
    The bikes will be very similar and compatible for spares.

Wheels may be an issue though, but maybe you were thinking of upgrading those on the summer bike anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Am I right in thinking some triple levers work as doubles too?
    Can the 6600 triple lever also work a double derailleur?
    You could just put the Tiagra chainset and derailleur on if it could.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I always put something half decent on the winter bike because in this country its the one I use most.
    105 would be my choice.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    If it was me, i'd upgrade the summer bike to ultegra 6800 and then put the 5800 105 on the winter bike - everyone's happy :-)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • When I replaced my old Cannondale, I went from a similar vintage Ultegra triple to new 105. The 105 is a much superior groupset in my opinion and I've heard similarly good feedback about the new Tiagra.
  • Anonymous
    edited October 2016
    New Tiagra v old Tiagra is the biggest difference in a groupset revamp ever IMO.
    So many nice affordable bikes out there now because of it too.

OP has the old Tiagra though, so buying new Tiagra would be silly, and new 105 expensive for winter bike.
  • Anonymous
    Chris Bass wrote:
    If it was me, i'd upgrade the summer bike to ultegra 6800 and then put the 5800 105 on the winter bike - everyone's happy :-)

Spouse friendly too 8)
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Spouse friendly too 8)
    Thanks for all the advice guys I made the mistake of reading the write up on tiagra being compared to 105 then bought the group set unfortunately I got the 4600 set and not the 4700 lesson learned. Now I have It seems silly not to use it . It will be better than the triple I hope . I think it will do for this winter . I like the idea of upgrading my summer bike then switching the 105 down to this bike. Maybe next year as my summer bike is still fairly new . Cheers.
  • sell the winter bike and use the money to upgrade the summer bike; use this all year round.
  • Anonymous
    Nah, two bikes rule!

Nothing better than one getting abused, without being that bothered about it, while the other is safe and dry at home.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Nah, two bikes rule!

Nothing better than one getting abused, without being that bothered about it, while the other is safe and dry at home.

you are talking about bicycles?
  • I've got 105 triple on my winter bike and various 105/Ultegra 10/11 speed doubles on my other 3 bikes. I would never consider changing the triple to a double, it's by far and away the best bike to ride as far as smooth gear changes are concerned and I don't have to keep fiddling around with the front mech trim while riding.