Garmin 520 - Turbo trainer issue

sagefly
sagefly Posts: 295
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Hi,

Hope someone can put me in the right direction.

My Garmin works fine when riding on the roads, mileage, speed, duration etc

When I use it on the indoor trainer only the cadence is displayed, I've adjusted settings on the unit, checked batteries on sensors but cannot get speed, distance and duration to work when using the turbo

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how have you resolved it?

Many thanks in advance
Turned out nice again!

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    So you have a speed sensor on the rear wheel that the Garmin recognises? Does the 520 have an indoor trainer setting? (I've got the feeling Garmin have added this - but I may be wrong) You can normally manually turn off GPS.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • As above, firstly make sure you have an ANT+ speed sensor and that it's working, does it show speed when spinning the rear wheel? (If it's on the front wheel then there's your problem)

Also you need to create a new profile one where GPS is turned off.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    sagefly wrote:
    Hi,

Hope someone can put me in the right direction.

My Garmin works fine when riding on the roads, mileage, speed, duration etc

When I use it on the indoor trainer only the cadence is displayed, I've adjusted settings on the unit, checked batteries on sensors but cannot get speed, distance and duration to work when using the turbo

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how have you resolved it?

Many thanks in advance

It'll get speed etc from GPS outside. I suspect your speed sensor isn't working. Shouldn't need to turn GPS off if the sensor is working. Check it's paired and follow the instuctions if it isn't.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've got a Garmin 500, and I always switch the GPS to OFF when on the turbo, however I don't change the bike profile to a separate turbo profile. I have a different profile that I use when riding another bike, but I don't need a separate bike profile for the turbo - I just set the Garmin to pair with the sensor on whatever bike I'm riding, whether on the road or the turbo.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    The 520 has a separate profile for indoor.
    No need to switch anything other than use the indoor profile and personalise data screens.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Thanks for the helpful replies a simple flat battery, I expected the cadence and speed sensor batteries to expire at the same time :oops:
    Turned out nice again!