Are women spec mountain bikes worth it.

BOSSNUT.DAVE
BOSSNUT.DAVE Posts: 102
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello, help needed please.
My 17 year old daughter enjoys cycling, and wants to step it up and come mountain biking, because she likes it and wants to stay fitter.

She has a budget of around £700, whilst looking around for her bike, we have noticed that women specific frames have poorer quality components compared to normal frames.

Is it worth getting a women specific bike or just a normal sided frame for her size, & adjust it to best suit.

What bikes would you recommended?

We were considering.
Voodo bizango
Calibre Gauntlet
And Cube women specific

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not normally worth it. Find a decent bike that fits and a woman specific saddle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I think if she is keen. Then a man's bike will be better value and and better suited to going fast. My wife hated my bike. She is a nervous rider so I bought her a giant tempt liv. Really low top tube. She can ride with her seat really low. She is starting to enjoy it.
    As long as she isn't very short then a small mens frame should fit.
  • cooldad
    Saddle 'really low' isn't good. There is only one correct place for the saddle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    cooldad wrote:
    There is only one correct place for the saddle.

or 2 if you have a dropper !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    Saddle 'really low' isn't good. There is only one correct place for the saddle.
    Yup, good luck with telling your spouse she is wrong!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I did with mine. I explained why, adjusted it an inch or so low while she got used to it - looked a bit anxious for the first few minutes, then set it right. No problems now.

But I am the delicate sensitive type and always use gentle methods of persuasion.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • She fine having the seat up, as long as, she has a dropper post.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Buy the bike that fits them well and makes them want to ride.

My wife has a womens xc hardtail bought in a sale. She test rode a few bikes and prefered the one she bought due to plenty of standover height, liked the look of it and it rode very well for her. From my point of view it was a very good spec for the money. Don't have any preconceived ideas and just make sure the fit, spec and price are ok.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Don't have any preconceived ideas and just make sure the fit, spec and price are ok.

We've rode Llandegla Red together, she is 5,4 tall and used my 20" HT cube. She did well to be fair, as she was stretched out on the bike.

We're looking for a good fit frame, an air fork and lady seat. Then see what we can get after that.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Kajjal wrote:
    Don't have any preconceived ideas and just make sure the fit, spec and price are ok.

We've rode Llandegla Red together, she is 5,4 tall and used my 20" HT cube. She did well to be fair, as she was stretched out on the bike.

We're looking for a good fit frame, an air fork and lady seat. Then see what we can get after that.

Find a big bike shop and do some test rides, you will soon be informed which is the right bike :D