August Sportive - Marmotte Pyrenees?

thebikeboy16
thebikeboy16 Posts: 108
I am thinking about a sportive for next August 26/27 or possibly September 2/3. I saw the Marmotte Pyrenees is open for entries in November. What is the likely cost of accommodation and transport? What am I forgetting? Where is good to stay? Is it worth doing? Can anyone speak from experience?

Can anyone recommend any other UK sportives for that time of year?

Bear in mind I have no experience of Alpine cycling and my bike handling skills are sketchy.

Comments

• I am thinking about a sportive for next August 26/27 or possibly September 2/3. I saw the Marmotte Pyrenees is open for entries in November. What is the likely cost of accommodation and transport? What am I forgetting? Where is good to stay? Is it worth doing? Can anyone speak from experience?

Can anyone recommend any other UK sportives for that time of year?

Bear in mind I have no experience of Alpine cycling and my bike handling skills are sketchy.

Try Velo Ventoux as they arrange booking, accomm., etc. but if your bike handling skills are sketchy, I would
    NOT recommend Marmotte. See e.g. https://viciouscycleblog.com/2015/07/05 ... war-story/
    An alternative/precursor might be various UK sportives and a challenging organised tour on continent.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    There used to be a sportive in Les Deux Alpes around that time in August. Nowhere near as popular as the Marmotte, but it took in some good (if less famous) climbs. I've done it a couple of times and it's a nice event, and you've obviously got lots of options in that area if you wanted to make a longer trip of it.

http://bike-oisans.com/en/events-cyclin ... es-2-alpes
  • Bear in mind I have no experience of Alpine cycling and my bike handling skills are sketchy.
    When you don't have experience in Alpine cycling the Marmotte Pyrenees is not the best option. It's a very very hard ride. An enormous bunch of altitude meters. A mate who is an exprienced Alpine rider was cmpletely broken last year. My advise is to do another cyclosportive. I can advise you the Alpenbrevet in Swiss which is maybe the most beautifull cyclo you can ride. Check www.cyclocalendar.com for all rides in Europe.