Brake upgrade - specialized Roubaix

slowmonkey
slowmonkey Posts: 48
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

Specialized Roubaix - has Axis 1.0 brakes presently. I have recently upgraded the pads, but still feel these brakes don't perform as well as I would like.

So I am looking at upgrading to a pair of Ultegra 6800 brakes.

I have 105 levers/shifters on bike presently - Don't know what version though!

My question: Are there any compatibility issues if I were to purchase/install the above brakes on to my 105 shifters/levers?

Many thanks all.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you check the model number of your shifters and then check they are supported by the brakes you buy, any doubt look on the shimano website. Based on my experience you will see a noticeable improvement but if you are used to hydraulic discs it still won't be close.
  • I also have a Roubaix,in my case a 2015 11spd SL4.I upgraded to 11spd 105 with SwissStop BXP pads which are very good.

For what it is worth I did exactly the same to an Allez with 8 speed Claris which produced a massive improvement.
  • Thanks both for the advice. Just trying to figure out what model my shifters are!
  • ST-5700 is what I have on my bike. I have checked on Shimano site and I think it confirms I can use Ultegra 6800 brakes.

Going to buy new cables too. Silly question time; anything else I need to complete this task?

Thanks again.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    slowmonkey wrote:
    ST-5700 is what I have on my bike. I have checked on Shimano site and I think it confirms I can use Ultegra 6800 brakes.

Going to buy new cables too. Silly question time; anything else I need to complete this task?

Thanks again.
    There are plenty of threads on this subject with, it has to be said, mixed views but IMHO you will never regret going to Swisstop BXP Blues and 105 5800 or Ultegra 6800 calipers which would both work on your bike. I too have experienced those Axis brakes and, even with upgraded pads, they are very poor. Note that if you want to use mudguards, you might be better off going for 105 calipers as they have more room under them than the Ultegras. As to extra kit, you will need some cutters (to make a clean cut of the cable) and end caps (which are crimped on to keep the cable from fraying). Again,there are other threads on cable cutters but I like my Park Tools ones. It's another financial outlay but, IMHO, any aspiring home bike mechanic should own a pair of decent cutters.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I have 105 5600 shifters on my CR1 and recently replaced the Tiagra 4500 brake calipers with some of the current 105 5800 ones and the improvement in braking was astounding.

Prior to that I'd thought that all calipers were roughly the same and any differences would be down to the brake blocks. Not so sure now. I think the older levers with the new calipers must have much better mechanical advantage.

I since bought 5800 cartridges & holders for the BR450 long drop brakes on the winter bike and they are a lot less effective (operated by Tiagra 4500 levers)