700X38C tyres

Twisted74
Twisted74 Posts: 14
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
hi all, ive got a cannondale quick sl 3 ( https://www.rei.com/product/862152/cann ... -bike-2014 ) now the tyres that are on are 700x38c road so im after a more grippy all round tyre, so i can do a few trails too. any recommendations ? also would a fork upgrade be beneficial.... thanks hope im making sense

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have rim brakes so getting a fatter tyre past them will be a pain, also I suspect you'll have little clearance in the frame (between the stays at the bottom bracket) or at the fork (at the top).

I'd suggest sticking with the same tyre size and get some CX tyres like a Shwalbe Smart Sam or Kenda small block 8.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You have rim brakes so getting a fatter tyre past them will be a pain, also I suspect you'll have little clearance in the frame (between the stays at the bottom bracket) or at the fork (at the top).

I'd suggest sticking with the same tyre size and get some CX tyres like a Shwalbe Smart Sam or Kenda small block 8.

i think your right pal, will have a look about.... cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No problem, Both those 2 work fairly well on tarmac, the SB8 is good on anything until you get some mud when it doesn't cut through to well, the Smart Sam is a little more draggy but will work much better on mud.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Marathon Cross is another all-rounder option, pretty happy with my pair on my skinny wheelset for mostly on the road.

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/ ... TB-29/1897 is where I got mine from earlier this year, they've gone up £3 a tyre since summer.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo