conti gatorskins/hardshell

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited November 2016 in Road general
Was about to grab some gatorskin folding tyres as their pretty light (approx 220g) and solid. I then saw there's some gatorskin hardshell folding tyres too. Does anyone use these? Are they worth the extra 100g or so in added weight to get even more protection?

They're going on my second bike which is used for small daily commutes and long weekend rides.

thanks

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    edited October 2016
    Have in the past run Gatorskins and Hardshell version too. I didn't notice too much difference in weight, but they can be a bit skitish in the wet compared to the Pro 4 Endurance I'm running now.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    I have some Gatorskins and the best comment I have seen to describe riding on them is it it like riding on a hosepipe!
    Yes they're pretty resistant to the fairy, but they're not a pleasant ride.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    think i got the weight wrong. looks like normal folding are 220g and hardshell folding are 250g, so nothing in it really. Be down to comfort
  • I use gatorskins on my road bike in the winter. I think they are a good tire, lightweight and pretty smooth rolling. I don't notice a huge amount of difference between these and the sworks turbo/schwalbe one I use on my race bike if I am honest.

Never had a puncture with them either so definitely hold up to winter weather and bad roads.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I use gatorskins on my road bike in the winter. I think they are a good tire, lightweight and pretty smooth rolling. I don't notice a huge amount of difference between these and the sworks turbo/schwalbe one I use on my race bike if I am honest

^^^ +1

The Gator Hardshells I bought are not folding tyres and they're stiff and solid to touch. They weren't joking when they called them hardshell ! Gives me a bit of confidence riding on a debris covered cycle lane, which includes broken glass and stones. Only time will tell how puncture resistant they are ( only just bought them) but they cant puncture any more that the wafer thin Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres I had.
    Fitting them was very tight.
    But to be honest, on a casual ride I couldn't tell any difference between these and any other tyre. Maybe the brand of tyres are marginal gains? Very very marginal.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I rode Gatorskins for a week. I took them off and bought something else that actually had some grip.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I killed hardsell tyres. Sidewall cut got the last one while testing a customer wheel. Only rode 1.85 miles They are good enough for a clincher and one of the better choices for winter just dont expect much grip in the wet. How someone does not notice this like the poster above probably means they pottle about which is fine but ride quicker into the bends and you will discover the limits quite rapidly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    PTestTeam wrote:
    I rode Gatorskins for a week. I took them off and bought something else that actually had some grip.

Turbo tyre? :lol:
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I use gatorskins but think that they do lack a little feel compared to my more normal Conti 4 seasons, which I also find are fairly resistant to p*****res.

I've never used the hardshells, but reckon they'd be like doing it in a wellington boot.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I used to use Gators (a long time ago) but my Volagi came with Rubino Pros so tried those. Not only did they feel better (and quicker) they also suffered less punctures and were cheaper. Some people claim they don't grip too well in the wet but nor do Gators and I think later versions may have addressed that fault (I never had it so couldn't say).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've had about four punctures in about five years of commuting on regular Gatorskins, and I've ridden them on some pretty horrible surfaces. I therefore have no plans to try the Hardshells. Never had any major complaints about grip, but I'm running 28-32; I can imagine them being pretty horrible in 23-25.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I’ve seen people riding gatorskins cornering and losing the front/ rear without having any control over it. Having ridden one for a week, it set my confidence back for some time, especially when descending. The feeling was just not nice, as in there wasn’t any decent feedback. I’d get 4 seasons simply because they offer good protection, and roll and grip fairly well.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    ben@31 wrote:
    I use gatorskins on my road bike in the winter. I think they are a good tire, lightweight and pretty smooth rolling. I don't notice a huge amount of difference between these and the sworks turbo/schwalbe one I use on my race bike if I am honest

^^^ +1

they cant puncture any more that the wafer thin Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres I had.

This is like comparing Pirelli P Zero F1 slicks to a set of Halford discount winter tyres to put on a Mondeo. The Ultremos are very soft grippy performance tyres for racing. They are not hard wearing as grip is their primary feature. Hardshells and gatorskins are for riding on dirty wet streets with high chances of picking up a puncture. Chalk and cheese as far as tyres are concerned
  • I've had hardshell's on all year to commute on. Nearly 3k and no punctures. Fine in the dry but I nearly crashed three times on greasy wembley roads one morning so I take it very steady on wet roads. I went for them as I do shift work and have a long ride (24.4 miles each way) and wanted very good puncture protection. Still quite new to road bikes so if there is anything with more grip and as good protection I'd like to know.
  • Anonymous
    Self sealing tubes?
    Personally I would want a grippy tyre I had faith in, over one that might be less prone to punctures.
  • One of my two winter bikes has Gator Harshells because I'm happy to accept the dead feeling ride, the high rolling resistance and the poor grip for superior puncture protection, largely because I use it for night riding and it's no fun changing a tube in the dark and freezing cold.

My other winter bike has GP4seasons which are better in every way except they cut and puncture much more easily.

I had to take the Hardshell bike for the fairly brisk club run last Sunday and had to work much harder for the road speed than anyone else. Not to worry, I thought, at least I won't get a.............PSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Oh, bugger!

That'll be puncture "resistant", then, not "proof"! :-(
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    if there is anything with more grip and as good protection I'd like to know.

Schwalbe Durano?

would have slightly less puncture resistance, but lower rolling resistance and better grip in the wet. lasts for ages too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-47765/

http://road.cc/content/review/58178-sch ... urano-tyre

Michelin Pro4 endurance might be worth a try too, although I haven't personally tried them.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    robbo2011 wrote:
    if there is anything with more grip and as good protection I'd like to know.

Schwalbe Durano?

would have slightly less puncture resistance, but lower rolling resistance and better grip in the wet. lasts for ages too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-47765/

http://road.cc/content/review/58178-sch ... urano-tyre

Michelin Pro4 endurance might be worth a try too, although I haven't personally tried them.

Yep. Perfect choice
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I have been using Gatorskins for about 6 years and had two punctures in that time. Both within a fortnight on the same tyre, which I took as a sign that it was well past time to change it.
    I read so many threads where people slate them, especially for grip and feel, but also for weight, that I think I might be something a bit special if I ever decide to swap them for proper tyres.
    I'm not going to risk it, just in case. :oops:
  • thebikeboy16
    thebikeboy16 Posts: 108
    edited November 2016
    I recently fitted Hardshell. While a lack of care could have been the cause of the flat tyres that I had to change too often when using Gatorskin, I value the peace of mind from having the greater puncture protection of Hardshell. Where is your commute and long weekend ride or rides?
  • smoggysteve
    I would like to think I have been quite lucky in only getting a few punctures in the last year with GP4000s and Schwalbe Ones. I do also think that the time it takes to change an innertube on the side of the road (5 minutes max) far far outweighs the need to fit tyres that have high rolling resistance and a dull lifeless feel. I would much rather pick up the odd flat on nicer rolling tyres than comprise for something that may or may not happen. You could still puncture on any tyre so you may as well roll on the best you can buy.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Gatorskins always done Ok for me - grip not brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some make out. No tyre grips well on diesel spills....
    Havinf said this I'm happy with 4 Seasons in winter as road-feel is better
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Changing tubes on a dark country road at 4.30am is not an option! I cycle from Bucks down the old a40 to the other side of wembley stadium for a 6am start. Or a 2pm start and long dark cycle home.
  • I would like to think I have been quite lucky in only getting a few punctures in the last year with GP4000s and Schwalbe Ones. I do also think that the time it takes to change an innertube on the side of the road (5 minutes max) far far outweighs the need to fit tyres that have high rolling resistance and a dull lifeless feel. I would much rather pick up the odd flat on nicer rolling tyres than comprise for something that may or may not happen. You could still puncture on any tyre so you may as well roll on the best you can buy.

At a rough guess, I'd say that this person has yet to discover the pleasure of being miles from home late at night on a pitch black country road, just above freezing, starting to rain, no rescue service available, and changing a tube with numb fingers while your body rapidly chills.

The sensible option is to do what you can to avoid such scenarios and Gatorskin and Hardshell (and many others) are invented for this. I love my GP4000sII tyres for all the reasons stated above but I'd rather have the harder ride, higher rolling resistance and reduced grip of the Gator types to have the benefit of far reduced chances of freezing my tits off on a pitch dark freezing cold verge somewhere far away!

I used to use GP4 Seasons for winter night riding but I got too many punctures and cuts. Hardshells have been a massive improvement. I tried Durano Plus but could not get them on and off my Ambrosio rims even in a warm room let alone a cold verge so sent them straight back to Wiggle.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Ive also found Vittoria Open Pave CG tyres were amazingly puncture proof, comfortable and roll as quick as any other tyre. They were marketed as a "pavé classics" tyre. Ideal for our sh*t roads then.
    Typically like all good things, Vittoria have stopped making them? Anyone know what Vittorias replacement is?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • smoggysteve
    I would like to think I have been quite lucky in only getting a few punctures in the last year with GP4000s and Schwalbe Ones. I do also think that the time it takes to change an innertube on the side of the road (5 minutes max) far far outweighs the need to fit tyres that have high rolling resistance and a dull lifeless feel. I would much rather pick up the odd flat on nicer rolling tyres than comprise for something that may or may not happen. You could still puncture on any tyre so you may as well roll on the best you can buy.

At a rough guess, I'd say that this person has yet to discover the pleasure of being miles from home late at night on a pitch black country road, just above freezing, starting to rain, no rescue service available, and changing a tube with numb fingers while your body rapidly chills.

The sensible option is to do what you can to avoid such scenarios and Gatorskin and Hardshell (and many others) are invented for this. I love my GP4000sII tyres for all the reasons stated above but I'd rather have the harder ride, higher rolling resistance and reduced grip of the Gator types to have the benefit of far reduced chances of freezing my tits off on a pitch dark freezing cold verge somewhere far away!

I used to use GP4 Seasons for winter night riding but I got too many punctures and cuts. Hardshells have been a massive improvement. I tried Durano Plus but could not get them on and off my Ambrosio rims even in a warm room let alone a cold verge so sent them straight back to Wiggle.

Yes I have been milesfrom home in the dark cold rain and snow in winter changing a punctured tyre. But the difference is I dress for the conditions and stay warm. I make sure I am not going to be freezing my tits of as you put it. If you can't change a tyre quickly - in under 10 minutes thats your problem. Here's the thing. You can still puncture on ANY tyre. Even those with thicker protection belts on them. If I get a flat I can have it changed in 5 minutes and continue on my way. So far in the last 18 months I have had 3 punctures. 1 was a pinch flat after hitting a level crossing hard and the other 2 were probably down to me not putting enough air in before I set off. These all happened on Schwalbe One 25mm tyres. I ride in all conditions on all types of road surfaces. Maybe those who get more punctures are doing something wrong because I seem to get by without getting a flat every 2 minutes and if I do I can fix it sharpish.
  • Anonymous
    Svetty wrote:
    Gatorskins always done Ok for me - grip not brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some make out. No tyre grips well on diesel spills....
    Havinf said this I'm happy with 4 Seasons in winter as road-feel is better

You had me at "grip not brilliant".

Its your contact with the road so important enough to seek something better IMO.

Bike tyres are not cheap, but its not that big a difference is it?
    Cycling is a very cheap transport option so I see little point in skimping on such an important aspect.

'Grip not brilliant/lasts for miles' tyres are great for black cabs, but for two wheels I think grip is often king.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Fell off last winter, first time in years and I think the Gatorskins were a contributing factor, it was wet and a bit muddy as well mind you, although I do feel the tyre tread is minimal even when new. I still like the Gatorskins for their robustness in the winter but they are a pig to remove and replace. Thankfully I've only had to do it at home but don't relish the prospect of trying to repair a puncture at the side of the road.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Tread pattern (or lack of it) makes no difference at all to a road bike tyre. It is only there to make the tyre look pretty and maybe give you a clue to when it is worn out. I've used Gatorskins (both versions) on my winter bike and have never punctured either version but maybe I've just been lucky. They can be difficult to get on when new but in use the bead seems to stretch a bit and it gets easier. The idea with a winter tyre is not to have to take it off by the road side because it doesn't puncture!

Some people seem to think they don't roll very well but on a 10kg winter bike with lights and mudguards I don't think it matters too much.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I ditched gators, the grip was truely horrible. Moved to conti 4s when they came out as they seemed to offer the best blend of protection and performance, I've been really pleased with them.

In the 3 or 4 months of deepest winter I put a bit of sealant in to give me some added protection (running inner tubes), I don't bother any other time. To be honest it's overkill but when it's 3 degrees it's surprising how long it takes to change a puncture with a freezing cold wet rim making your fingers numb out fairly instantly.