Wet weather bib shorts

tenohfive
tenohfive Posts: 152
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I recently picked up a pair of Gore Oxygen Partial Thermo Bib Short for about £50 on an Amazon deal. If I'd known how good they were I'd have got a couple of pairs at that price and I'm kicking myself now for not recognising how good of a deal it was.

I'm struggling to find anything similar for much less than £70-80. Tights actually seem cheaper in a lot of cases, but I'd rather have the flexibility of mixing rain resistant bib shorts with leg warmers.

How much do I have to pay to get something similar?

Comments

• Sportful Fiandre No-Rain £65-75 depending on where you get them. I have the 3/4 version and highly recommended as are the castelli nano flex bib shorts but they retail at around £100.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've stopped wearing waterproof or heavy fleeced bib shorts and switched back to normal with good waterproof or thermal leg warmers mostly because on a long and or cold ride once the thick bibs are wet they stay wet then get super cold and heavy, normal bibs dry out with my body heat, something a little thicker than full summer weight
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Try the stolen goat orakn ones, not really any thicker than normal summer bibs but waterproof. I also tried the Castelli ones but couldn't get on with the fit, the nanoflex lite seemed to be a nice material though if the fit works for you.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    A vote for Sportful No Rain Light shorts here. Thin but offer better protection against wind and rain. Will get wet eventually, but not as thick and heavy as the original ones.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The dhb Rain Defence shorts get a good write-up, if you want thinner lycra:

http://road.cc/content/review/205907-dh ... bib-shorts

I also liked the look of these, so have them on order (so can't comment on quality yet). I wanted a roubaix fabric to get through winter when paired with Knee/leg warmers.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-thermoli ... ib-shorts/

I also have the Sportful No-Rain shorts, and really like them - I also have Castelli Nanoflex, which are okay but the pad aint great (that may have changed in the past couple of years since i got mine)
  • Don't exist right? I'm obviously behind with the times.
  • Not exactly what you're looking for, but in case someone else is:-
    Bontrager Velocis Stormshell bibs

I have the Stormshell jacket and it is very good. Pricey though.
    Bibs are next.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I dont have these shorts, but I can vouch for the Sportful No-Rain and No-Wind jersey series, and as a Sportful fan who finds their products outstanding time and time again on the occasion I buy them, I imagine the shorts will be the same. As I need new pieces of kit, I now tend to always look at Sportful first.