Front bike light to ride at night

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking after a new front light for bike rides longer than 2 hours. I have a Phillips Saferide which is ok for 2 hours but that is not enough, I would like something that can last for at least 3 hours, that it has decent optics to ride on the road and that it doesn't have an external battery park. Any price really, but cheaper better. It has to be bright enough to ride at 20mph or thereabouts.

Thanks!
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There are quite a few good threads on lights, particularly in the Commuting section. However, my money would be on an Exposure Strada.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Dynamo front wheel. Removes the faff and worry of charging and running out of charge. Modern LED dynamo lights are brilliant, the hubs are light too, there is a small amount of resistance but if you are riding at night it is probably for training anyway.

e.g:
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b17s209p33 ... ght-Bundle
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Thanks about the dynamo idea, but no, I do not want to change my wheel or have much need for a dynamo light. The Strada looks like a great option but it is obscenely expensive and the beam is not as good as the Saferide.

Has anyone tried the Cateye Volt 1600? is that any good?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Review of the new strada with a link to the cateye 1600. Long story short, very similar beam pattern, cateye much cheaper but not as nice. I've got the mk5 strada, love it and would buy another without hesitation.

http://road.cc/content/review/179341-ex ... strada-mk6
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If the Exposure is a bit rich for you try Magicshine.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I was thinking about getting this light.

Xeccon Striver 900

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xeccon-Strive ... 3641.l6368

Not much info though has only 2 reviews.

But if you could just buy it, then see if its any good then i'll get one. :roll:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Good thing about that light is that its from Torchy - and you can see he shows you the pictures of the beam to help.

I'd be happier buying from him than off a random on ebay. In fact I have bought a torch off him before and its still going.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Fenix BC30 if you want 18650 batteries, BC30R if you dont. Fresnel lens on the top half directs the light down at the road rather than waste it in the sky and blinding drivers coming the other way, while still lighting the road a long way ahead from the bottom half. Lasts a good while and very good mount and very bright.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Look at Izone Arc range from Tredz cycles.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    2x Cateye Volt800 will give you up to 4hrs on full beam, more if you switch down to medium or hyper constant for built up area's with street lighting.