Winter Attire

grant2307
grant2307 Posts: 135
edited December 2016 in Road beginners
Hey.

Been having a look around but not seen exactly what I am looking for.

I'm new to cycling and I'm in the process of building a road / hybrid bike. My aim is to have the bike ready for around November 14th.

My wonder is requirements for my 'commute'. I say commute but it will be between 2-3 miles each way max but I aim aiming to get stuck in and replace this for my car driving to work.

Starting in November will be cold and wet without a doubt. I will be buying a 360 degree reflective jacket (as a frequent car driver in London, I appreciate seeing those jackets when driving at night, especially in the wet.) I would also like to know about base layers / trousers and waterproofs. I'm 6ft6 and have size 13 feet so would like to make sure the shoe covers fit :lol: don't want to resort to bags for life.

I have shorts with padding that I will wear underneath any water proofs on the bottom half. More concerned with top half being warm and bottom half staying dry.

Thanks.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    2 or 3 miles is nothing really. Id not kit up in my bike stuff for that short a ride. You'd spend longer getting changed.

Decent jacket. Maybe overtrousers if it's raining but full mudguards and flaps would be the biggest thing you can do to keep dry.

What shoes are you wearing? You can get cheap overshoes for bike shoes - not sure if they'd work with dress shoes..
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Even on wet winter days, I just wear cycle shorts with leg warmers - I think waterproof overtrousers aren't necessary, especially for such a short commute. Overshoes, winter gloves and a scull cap below your helmet are all good for cold, wet winter mornings.
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    Even on wet winter days, I just wear cycle shorts with leg warmers - I think waterproof overtrousers aren't necessary, especially for such a short commute. Overshoes, winter gloves and a scull cap below your helmet are all good for cold, wet winter mornings.

This, get some really decent gloves, something like a buff is handy too.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Grant2307 wrote:
    Hey.

Been having a look around but not seen exactly what I am looking for.

I'm new to cycling and I'm in the process of building a road / hybrid bike. My aim is to have the bike ready for around November 14th.

My wonder is requirements for my 'commute'. I say commute but it will be between 2-3 miles each way max but I aim aiming to get stuck in and replace this for my car driving to work.

Starting in November will be cold and wet without a doubt. I will be buying a 360 degree reflective jacket (as a frequent car driver in London, I appreciate seeing those jackets when driving at night, especially in the wet.) I would also like to know about base layers / trousers and waterproofs. I'm 6ft6 and have size 13 feet so would like to make sure the shoe covers fit :lol: don't want to resort to bags for life.

I have shorts with padding that I will wear underneath any water proofs on the bottom half. More concerned with top half being warm and bottom half staying dry.

Thanks.

For 2-3 miles, it's not really worth fully changed for the ride. I guess you'll just be in your work clothes plus / minus a few extra items depending on the conditions. So assuming that you're wearing trousers and a top, add a jacket and gloves +/- fleece hat under your helmet if it's really cold. If it's wet, you don't want to get your work trousers soaked (which you easily can in 5 minutes), so just chuck some waterproof trousers over the top and ride a bit easier to avoid getting too hot. For waterproof trousers on a bike, length is important. When you try them on standing up, aim for something that seems really long so when you bend your leg the bottom doesn't move half way up your shin.

As others have said, get full mudguards. The roads will be wet way more often than it will be actually raining during your ride so you'll be able to avoid having to put the waterproof trousers on a lot of the time.

As for feet, I've never found overshoes a good solution for when any walking is going to take place. If there is a high chance of rain, I would wear some walking shoes and take my work shoes and a change of socks in a bag. For a short journey, it's a compromise between how much hassle you want to avoid, and liklihood / annoyance factor of getting damp feet once a month.
  • ForumNewbie
    When I commuted I left a pair or work shoes, trousers and socks in my work locker, as well as a fresh towel for a shower. So the only clothes I needed to carry with me in my bag on the bike was a clean shirt and underpants.

Even although you only have a short commute, I think in winter you'll not want to commute in your work clothes.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    2 to 3 miles... seriously you need only a little gear.
    Getting kitted up/changed fully , you'll be doing that longer than actual riding.

Undergarment - Tenn padded undershorts from Ebay.
    Over trousers over your work stuff.
    Rain and cold resistance jacket.
    Size 13s? you are going to have fun in finding overshoes that wont have you in a chaotic fit getting them on inside 10 minutes..
    It is surprising how feet can get wet inside a few minutes of deluge..so try and get a pair
    Full mudguards - 100% vital.
    Dont skip on decent gloves though.

SPD shoes that you can walk in them.... I use Giro Rumbles in black... you can almost pass them off for work shoes

yes short commutes you can commute in your normal gear underneath or in rucksack... I did it for over a year... getting there and going home at dinner. .. (thats northern for luncheon by the way).

I now have an hours commute, twice a day ... as I have proper locker , shower and changing room , I do it in the gear.
  • As first poster says... mudguards are best for this situation. I would not bother with wearing anything other than office attire. I'd recommend walking if it is wet and raining. For that short a distance cycling is just not worth the hassle. It's been said before... buy gloves... which can wear out surprisingly quickly.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    In bad weather - Running shoes, t-shirt/jacket and a waterproof backpack.
    Cycling gear isn't worth the hassle for such a short distance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I live a miles walk from work - for that distance its not worth me cycling in. By the time I've got the bike out and the extra kit and locked it up etc - walking is quicker. If your journey is two miles - walking is only 40 mins or so - so cycling should be worth it for you over driving. I'd be ashamed to drive 2 miles to work.
  • I used to cycle in (3 miles each way) wearing my work clothes. I would sweat no matter what, and wore holes in my trousers from saddle rub very easily.

So I always change, and if I'm changing I may as well just wear my normal cycling kit.

Leave earlier, extend your commute and gain some fitness. Go for bib tights rather than waterproof trousers. Altura Night Vision jackets seem to be the most popular. But I don't wear a jacket unless it's pouring down. Jersey/base layer/gilet as appropriate for the day.
  • ForumNewbie
    Hi-viz yellow jackets are good when light fading, but if commuting in winter when really dark you need a jacket with good reflective strips. I've just bought a black/grey jacket that have sections on the sleeves and back that glow in the dark, so if really dark when I ride I will wear that rather than my yellow hi-viz jacket.
  • It's actually close to 4 miles than 2-3 so that would be my mistake.

My bike isn't actually ready to ride, ironic I have been having my car fixed and it has put the bike off. (I'm building a bike).

I'm now at my new place of work, we have a shower here so I will be leaving work clothes here etc.

I'm aiming for a 360 degree reflective jacket and some form of trousers to keep my dry. Will have some arm and knee warmers on hold for the cold days and longer rides for sure.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I ride about that distance to my work. I wear my office clothes with a jacket and over trousers, either bung the shoes in the bag or keep them at work and wear trainers or the like. Helmet with a buff and decent gloves should see you though all but the worst on a commute of that length.
    I have a rainproof cover for my bag if its soggy out.
    Ride soft an you wont cook up if you fancy a change of pace you can pack light an take a change of clothes for the return route even then id just go gym gear.