Stuck in two minds

willmtb
willmtb Posts: 69
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Today I'm just asking for a little advice on what to go for a hardtail or full suspension. I have a budget of £800 and have two ideas from each of the two types. If anyone could share their thoughts and opinions that would be much appreciated! So from the hardtails there is the Cannondale cujo 3 a plus sized 27.5. And the on one 45650B. Both the full suspensions are from Halfords there is the Boardman team Fs and the Voodoo Zobop-both these full suspensions are £1000 however they have lots of 20% sales on at Halfords so I can wait for one.
I ride in quite a hilly area lots of steap climbs and steep descents. The terrain varies massively there is woodlans which can get boggy or slippy and there's a rocky part which is uneven on the floor which can be slipppy.
Also I'd like to do things like going to Cannock so that sort of riding really!
Thank you
Links all below

Cannondale- https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV280354
On one- http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650X ... ntain-bike
Boardman- http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001
Zoodoo- http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

Comments

• well first of all friend you need to tell us the type of riding you do or intend to do ! as this will help with the bike choice

so tell us more about your riding and the area were you ride, if its always very wet and muddy or rocky or just flat and fast.

:)
  • willmtb
    well first of all friend you need to tell us the type of riding you do or intend to do ! as this will help with the bike choice

so tell us more about your riding and the area were you ride, if its always very wet and muddy or rocky or just flat and fast.

:)
    Updated above :D
  • There is 20% off at cyclerepublic at the moment which is halfords. Discount added when you have items in the basket
  • well buddy here is my choices for a hardtail and full sus in the £800 area all brand new

let me first just say that you probably could get a better bike if you wanted to go on ebay as their can be some silly good bargains, i got my bike from ebay from a guy who had only brought it the month before and decided mountain biking wasn't for him,so i got a 1 month old bike and saved £300 off the rrp as new with all its paperwork ect

but anyway here is what i would look at today with £800

(1) VooDoo Hoodoo Mountain Bike £500 hardtail
    (2) B'TWIN Rafal 720 Mountain Bike - 27.5" £599.99 (SALE PRICE) hardtail rrp £900
    (3) Boardman Mountain Bike Comp 27.5" £519.20 (SALE PRICE) hardtail rrp £650
    (4) B'TWIN Rockrider 720S Full Suspension Mountain Bike - 27.5" £750.00
    (5) VooDoo Canzo Full Suspension Mountain Bike £800
    (6) Boardman Mountain Bike Pro 29er £849.15 (SALE PRICE) hardtail rrp £999
    (7) Boardman Mountain Bike Team Full Suspension 27.5 £949.05 (SALE PRICE) rrp £999

so i know their is not many full sus bikes but in my view their isnt much choice thats good value at this price point
    also remember that if you make yourself a member of british cycling you will get a extra 10% off any bike from halfords (boardman + voodoo) even if its in the sale.

im a fan of the boardman range as i ride a boardman pro hardtail 2013-2014 model and its amazing for a £1000 bike
    i know of riders who have the voodoo hoodoo and say they are just amazing valur for the money and great to ride.

over the past few months their has been a lot of talk on the forums about the B'twin rafal 720 as its a new bike for decathlon but the spec is crazy good for £599 and their is a lot of fans of the decathlon bikes on the forum who may advise you.

the boardman bike range has been winning awards for their mountain bikes since 2013 just as the voodoo range has
    but this is only my view and this is what i would look at and read up upon.

but do keep in mind the possible extra 10% saving if you become a british cycling member,so that top end boardman could have £95 knocked off making it just over your budget.

keep us updated buddy :)
  • willmtb
    well buddy here is my choices for a hardtail and full sus in the £800 area all brand new

let me first just say that you probably could get a better bike if you wanted to go on ebay as their can be some silly good bargains, i got my bike from ebay from a guy who had only brought it the month before and decided mountain biking wasn't for him,so i got a 1 month old bike and saved £300 off the rrp as new with all its paperwork ect

but anyway here is what i would look at today with £800

(1) VooDoo Hoodoo Mountain Bike £500 hardtail
    (2) B'TWIN Rafal 720 Mountain Bike - 27.5" £599.99 (SALE PRICE) hardtail rrp £900
    (3) Boardman Mountain Bike Comp 27.5" £519.20 (SALE PRICE) hardtail rrp £650
    (4) B'TWIN Rockrider 720S Full Suspension Mountain Bike - 27.5" £750.00
    (5) VooDoo Canzo Full Suspension Mountain Bike £800
    (6) Boardman Mountain Bike Pro 29er £849.15 (SALE PRICE) hardtail rrp £999
    (7) Boardman Mountain Bike Team Full Suspension 27.5 £949.05 (SALE PRICE) rrp £999

so i know their is not many full sus bikes but in my view their isnt much choice thats good value at this price point
    also remember that if you make yourself a member of british cycling you will get a extra 10% off any bike from halfords (boardman + voodoo) even if its in the sale.

im a fan of the boardman range as i ride a boardman pro hardtail 2013-2014 model and its amazing for a £1000 bike
    i know of riders who have the voodoo hoodoo and say they are just amazing valur for the money and great to ride.

over the past few months their has been a lot of talk on the forums about the B'twin rafal 720 as its a new bike for decathlon but the spec is crazy good for £599 and their is a lot of fans of the decathlon bikes on the forum who may advise you.

the boardman bike range has been winning awards for their mountain bikes since 2013 just as the voodoo range has
    but this is only my view and this is what i would look at and read up upon.

but do keep in mind the possible extra 10% saving if you become a british cycling member,so that top end boardman could have £95 knocked off making it just over your budget.

keep us updated buddy :)

Hi
    Thanks for the reply that advice is brilliant, I think I'm gonna go for one of the halford options and look to sign up to British cycling for the discount! I think you could be right with hardtail is the way to go mainly.
    Thanks again!