My Scott Scale

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,695
edited March 2018 in Your mountain bikes
I decided I wanted a new XC hardtail, and to try these weird massive wheel things.

2ijn5e0.jpg

It's a Scale 960, switched to 1x10 and with a Reba replacing the 30 that was one there as stock, shown here with the highly acclaimed mud upgrade. Goal for this is to get it under 10kg (could be tricky, it's about 11.5 at the moment), and race it next year. It's very strange riding a hardtail again, but quite good fun.

Comments

• If you have lock on grips and wanna save some easy weight, buy some foam slip-on grips. You'll save almost 100 grams for 10 usd.
  • whyamihere
    neiglass wrote:
    If you have lock on grips and wanna save some easy weight, buy some foam slip-on grips. You'll save almost 100 grams for 10 usd.
    True enough, and that may be what I do if I get to 100g away, but there's much heavier things on it and for now I'll keep the comfort.
  • Fill the tyres with helium? Only joking, good luck with getting the weight down. You could look at changing the tyres - that could save you a bit of weight, and maybe go tubeless as well - don't know how much weight that will actually save, but it's (probably!) worth a try.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should be easy enough to break 10Kg, my FS is only just over that (admittedly on 26" wheels).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    neiglass wrote:
    If you have lock on grips and wanna save some easy weight, buy some foam slip-on grips. You'll save almost 100 grams for 10 usd.
    True enough, and that may be what I do if I get to 100g away, but there's much heavier things on it and for now I'll keep the comfort.

Obviously it's down to personal preference but i've got ESI chunky grips on my whippet and i've never found them lacking in comfort, quite the opposite. It's a bonus that they weigh slightly less than naff all too! Might be worth a think?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You'll save a fair amount of weight by changing the tyres to some good xc tyres and set them up tubeless. Probably a bit to save by changing wheels as well.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I used to have a Scale that was 9.5kgs

Wheels, tyres and carbon is what you need to focus on
  • whyamihere
    You'll save a fair amount of weight by changing the tyres to some good xc tyres and set them up tubeless. Probably a bit to save by changing wheels as well.
    They are already tubeless, but this will probably be my next upgrade. Currently thinking of Superstar hubs laced to either Stans Crest or Light Bicycle carbon rims with DT Revolution spokes, likely with something like Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. Should be well over half a kilo saved. My wallet would prefer me to go for the Stans, but I'm concerned about the flex, which would be much less likely with the carbon rims.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Light tyres can be more prone to punctures.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Light tyres can be more prone to punctures.

Good advice and why I don't do very light tyres.
  • whyamihere
    Been a while since I've done anything with this, due to illness and moving house, but now that's all over (hopefully)... I've been starting to look at shaving some weight off the Scale.

First, the new picture:
    34ipzyt.jpg

Still not got round to changing the wheels (next month is my intention), but I have been changing a fair few bits. Bar, stem, seatpost, saddle, cranks, pedals, plus some other little bits.

Changes with weights which I bothered to take:

25yuq28.png

Fairly happy with having dropped almost 1kg so far. Pretty much everything has cost well below £1/g. Unfortunately, when moving house I managed to lose my scales, so full weights will have to wait until I either buy new ones or get round to stripping and weighing every part...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Looking really good. A great weight saving on there already and still on stock wheels.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What is the Vertu saddle like to ride? I imagine they are more comfortable than they look, how does it hold up to offroad riding?

At that price I can't imagine it being an issue if you have to replace it every so often!
  • whyamihere
    i was fairly sure I'd already replied to this... Oh well. The saddle is surprisingly comfy - It flexes quite a lot, and I've had no problems with it. It was worth a go for a fiver.

I need to update this thread. The bike is now below 10kg, and probably nearing completion unless I want to change the frame. The next project will be a full sus XC bike, which will hopefully get somewhere near the same weight using even more carbon bits.