27+ just a gimmick, or useful?

paddywhacked
paddywhacked Posts: 36
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Considering buying this Cannondale Cujo 3 from Evans; https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV280354

I wasn't looking for a 27+ so I was curious: is it just a gimmick or are there some real benefits of a 27+ over a 29er? I wasn't even looking for a 29er, so what will a 27+ give me over a regular 650b? Can I fit 29 wheels into a 27+ without mods if I wish.

Cheers, Paddy.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's good if you never ride anywhere that gets muddy.
  • So is 27.5 the better way to go?
    POAH wrote:
    gimmik like 29ers lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Different bikes for different people. 29ers are great for some types of riding. I use mine (120mm each end) for a mix of XC and mainly natural trails, some rough steep stuff but I'm not a jumper so have no worries about wheels collapsing after Rampage style jumps.

In many ways 29er makes more difference, and sense, over 26er than 27.5.

Gimmick is what you make it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    27.5" to me is not that useful. They feel to much like 26er's. 29er are great for XC riding and racing I am much quicker on mine than I am on smaller wheeled bikes. This is why I like 27.5+ size same rolling diameter as a 29er but given the larger air volume it will lend itself to rocky trails more. Given I dont live anywhere near any rock I dont need one. If Iived in the peaks though or the lakes then I might be tempted buy a 27.5_ or a 29+ size bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    One thing I do know about 27.5" is that all the bikes at Rampage were 27.5" but most were running 26" wheels because they're stronger and easier to 360.
  • 29ers certainly aren't a gimmick. Roll up to the start line of an XC race and look around you. Everyone I know who has ridden +sized bikes (27.5 or 29 +) love them. It's early days to say if they will fizzle out or stay around. Fat bikes IMO are already being left behind as they are so niche. I think 27.5+ size bikes have a more realistic chance of becoming a genuine option for trail bikes but only time will tell.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I like the idea of 27.5+ .. as said same dia as 29" but more rubber.

Often wondered though, if the don't take off, whats the bike compatable with ... I am assuming being disc braked you can run either 26" or 29" in replacement ?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the point about rampage is moot to most people. I dont do rampage stuff never will I would die. So 26" wheels may be useful there but only there and maybe in the down hilling world. I ride XC in the old school sence of the word. I dont do drop off's, jumps or tricks I just want to ride.

smaller wheels maybe useful for all that stuff for the rest of us larger rolling diameter are more useful.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks all. I went for a std 27.5 in the end. Looking forward to getting in the saddle for some XC rides.