Brake Lever Upgrade

veagnox
veagnox Posts: 77
edited November 2016 in MTB general
Hi guys. I have a short and simple question. I have Simano BR-M355 Hyrdolic Disk Brake System and I'm so happy with it. But brake levers are so uncomfortable and I want to upgrade to SLX M675. So the question is, can I upgrade my brake levers only and leave everything else as M355?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You can, but they are getting harder to buy on their own.

For £120 you can get SLX brake set.
    If you don't want to spend that much then get Deore for £100.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You could buy a set of deore m615 brakes these have the shorter 1 finger levers if that is what your after?
  • veagnox
    JBA wrote:

Hi and thanks for reply. The links you suggested leads to SLX brake set, not only levers. I want to change levers only
  • veagnox
    swod1 wrote:
    You could buy a set of deore m615 brakes these have the shorter 1 finger levers if that is what your after?

Hi and thanks for reply. Yes, the problem is exactly about 1 finger braking and I want to buy SLX levers each for 35$ (total 70$) from Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-lever-assembly-SLX-BL-M675-B/dp/B00DKFGM68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476602794&sr=8-1&keywords=slx+brake+lever. And the question is, if I buy these levers, will they work perfectly with my M355 brake system, or am I supposed to change the whole system?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes, they will work fine.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    hose is a different size on the cheaper shimano brakes, for all the hassel I would just buy a complete system
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    veagnox wrote:
    JBA wrote:

Hi and thanks for reply. The links you suggested leads to SLX brake set, not only levers. I want to change levers only

Well if you read his post again - he says, levers are very hard to get separately, therefore he says you can get a full set of brakes.
  • veagnox
    Yes, they will work fine.

Hi and thanks for reply. That was the answer I was looking for =)
  • veagnox
    POAH wrote:
    hose is a different size on the cheaper shimano brakes, for all the hassel I would just buy a complete system

Hi and thanks for reply. Do you know if M355 and M675 hoses are the same or not? If you could answer this question correctly, surely it will be my answer for topic question
  • veagnox
    kinioo wrote:
    veagnox wrote:
    JBA wrote:

Well if you read his post again - he says, levers are very hard to get separately, therefore he says you can get a full set of brakes.

Hi and thanks for reply. Additionally thanks for your attention. I noticed what he says, after replying his comment, I replied to another user with link to levers only, that's why I not included links in first reply also. I mean I found the levers I need, just don't know if they will fit my brake system well or not
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The hose is the same size, at the lever end its a straight fit into the lever.

On the basis your levers will be almost worthless, consider getting a complete SLX brake and selling yours as complete and ready to use, may work out cheaper than just buying new levers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:

Brake hose for the M355 has a larger bore than the hose on new SLX brakes, it will work but you'll have significantlly more lever movement to move the pads the same amount. Its not recommended to do it
  • POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Brake hose for the M355 has a larger bore than the hose on new SLX brakes, it will work but you'll have significantlly more lever movement to move the pads the same amount. Its not recommended to do it

Thanks for attention, I will replace it with Deore, which has same hose size and 1 finger brake lever