Jacket wanted : packable, breathable and if possible waterproof

grenw
grenw Posts: 803
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for an emergency jacket. The sort to carry around if it looks like it might rain. Enough to keep you more or less dry in the hour or so it takes to get home.

Must be packable and very breathable. Totally waterproof is probably the least important as long as it keeps me from getting soaked. I'd rather get some water coming in than boil in my own sweat.

Drawn to the Castelli Idro as it ticks all the boxes and more but not sure about over £200 for something that gets used a handful of times a year. The missus loves her Donnina (Women's Tempesta) and wears it often so am happy to spend if it is the best for what I need.

Comments

• Rapha packet jacket

Had one for a few years. Comes in a small zip case so goes in your jersey pocket easily. I carry it on most rises as it's so small. Wind proof and water resistant for at least an hour
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Endura race cape is great for the money, not that breathable but fully waterproof. Rapha race cape is also good, more breathable than endura but not quite as packable and more expensive.

Other options are gabba-type jerseys, stolen goat is good as is the gabba prefetto. Will keep you dryish and breath well.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Thanks for suggestions.

Got Gabbas - long and short sleeve. Fine if you're going for it but if I'm on an all day ride with the missus then we're usually pootling around and a Gabba gets a bit miserable in the rain at low speeds. Eventually it wets through and the chill sets in if you're not generating your own heat.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have the Gore One which is the jacket Gore produced in limited numbers to demonstrate the technology that the Castelli Idro uses. It's very very good but probably overkill for the spec that you want. Reading the first part of your post, I figured that the Montane Featherlite would probably fit the bill: light, water resistant, and enough to keep you warm in unexpected rain. I have one too and I have also found it a great jacket for retaining heat during enforced stops (puncture etc). The upside is that it's probably available for 25% of the Gore-based jacket.

If you want something that's totally waterproof and breathes pretty well (the sort of thing that copes with biblical rain) then splash out on the Idro (it looks a bit smarter and more visible than the Gore) but, to meet your brief, the Montane is the better bet. I probably take the Montane more often than I take the Gore.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have the Gore One which is the jacket Gore produced in limited numbers to demonstrate the technology that the Castelli Idro uses.

Wasn't it 200 on the first batch. 1000 on the next. Guess they must be selling enough at £200
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wasn't it 200 on the first batch. 1000 on the next. Guess they must be selling enough at £200

The number printed on the inside doesn't seem to affect how well it works.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,156
    I was in Decathlon last week and saw this, part of their new range.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-ultralig ... 69629.html
    Looked really good.
    I didn't get it as I already have a packable waterproof jacket but if I didn't, this ticks every box for not much money. Packs small, taped seams, plenty of vents; it's not 2 layer ultralight Gore fabric but not boil in the bag cape material either.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I used to have the Montane it was only just ok, however it's no longer available, I now use the Endura race cape if it looks like rain or the Rapha race cape if it is raining!

Sadly the Decathlon one looks a bit bin bag like!

big_e610b51020ba4370b2ae9578e39b4fa7.jpg
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,156
    I agree, that photo doesn't look the best. In the flesh it looked better and you can always size down for a closer fit.
    I couldn't though as I already take a small.
  • Endura pakajak if you can find one.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • gpgiant
    gpgiant Posts: 26
    Endura pakajak if you can find one.

The Endura Pakajak is only windproof, trust me :wink:
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    Gear Guide in the latest C+ - Madison Road Race Premio comes out 'best on test', £100, with dhb Classic Rain Shell 'best value' at £60. Endura FS26-Pro Adrenaline rated 4/5 at £65.
  • I know, but after all these years I`ve given up on waterproof. Windproof is far more important to me.

If your not working hard on the bike then just buy an Altura night vision jacket for £30 and wear that.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just ordered a Rivelo Langcliffe on Sportspursuit for £60 down from £130.

Gets good reviews, packable apparently. I'll give it a whirl.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    edited October 2016
    I've just ordered an Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline Race Cape. Priority is breathability over waterproofing (but as much water resistance as possible) whilst staying in the 100-200g range and I couldn't see anything else coming close to that sweet spot of water resistance/breathability without getting expensive or being flappy/loose cut. If there's something I've missed however I'll have a look; I've been through the above mentioned options and none of them jump out as being much (if any) of an improvement on the FS260.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    tenohfive wrote:
    I've just ordered an Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline Race Cape. Priority is breathability over waterproofing (but as much water resistants as possible) whilst staying in the 100-200g range and I couldn't see anything else coming close to that sweet spot of water resistance/breathability without getting expensive or being flappy/loose cut. If there's something I've missed however I'll have a look; I've been through the above mentioned options and none of them jump out as being much (if any) of an improvement on the FS260.

I've got one, it's a great piece of kit for the money. Very packable, pretty waterproof and just about breathable enough at that price point.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Stueys wrote:
    tenohfive wrote:
    I've just ordered an Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline Race Cape. Priority is breathability over waterproofing (but as much water resistants as possible) whilst staying in the 100-200g range and I couldn't see anything else coming close to that sweet spot of water resistance/breathability without getting expensive or being flappy/loose cut. If there's something I've missed however I'll have a look; I've been through the above mentioned options and none of them jump out as being much (if any) of an improvement on the FS260.

I've got one, it's a great piece of kit for the money. Very packable, pretty waterproof and just about breathable enough at that price point.

I have one of these. It's a nice simple jacket that is fairly slim fitting. As always, don't expect miracles with brethability.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I have the B Twin jacket, last minute purchase for a trip to the alps and its ok. The under arm flaps makes it a little less boil in the bag and it is quite warm but the fit is very flappy. It packs down absolutely tiny which is good mind. Be good for riders with a bigger build.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    Alex99 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    tenohfive wrote:

I have one of these. It's a nice simple jacket that is fairly slim fitting. As always, don't expect miracles with brethability.

Me too.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Light, breathable - showerproof? The Sportful Hotpack 5 is great. The regular one is good - packs the size if a small fist; there is an extra light version if you want it to pack REALLY small.

The NoRain version may be a bit over the top if you don't want it fully waterproof - as it's a fair bit more.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've used Endura FS260 Pro Adrenaline Race Capes for a few years and they're great. I first had a white one, but it went grey in the wash and replaced it with a smaller sized black/grey job, which is very snug and doesn't rustle or flap (and stays the same colour!). I'll fire it over my gabba or soft shell if it starts to pour, or stick it on during evening/night rides where the temperature drops, or if I'm a bit chilly leaving a cafe stop. Even when it stops raining, I don't ever get too hot so I don't think it's all that boil in the bag. Very versatile items!