Front Panniers fixing?/SQR Saddlebags

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Recently started commuting to work again, approx 5 miles each way, owing to lack of office storage space/discretion, I'm now having to carry everything with me. I previously carried shirt/trousers/towel in Monday and take home Friday other days just swap shirt and trousers in a ruck sack, which was fine. Now I'm carrying shoes, towel suite & lunch everyday, I'm looking to switch from ruck sack to Pannier. My current Trek 2.1 doesn't have rear rack mount so looking at the Carradice SQR either tour or slim

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?pa ... rl=sqrtour

Or looking for something on the front fork, but not sure how these attach to the bike, or which is more robust fixing out the two??

I don't need a full set ie one on either side, just need one and as above my current bike not got holes /space for a rear rack and not sure if I want one anyway, as only need one bag not two (ie not one either side)

Whats the best options? I need something 100% water proof storm winter weather, robust, don't mind spending a bit on decent kit if it'll last (buy once) ideally have shoulder straps rather than carry handle and finally something that won't look too bulky/out of place on a summer bike. I might be getting a new bike as well that might have a rear rack mount but not sure if I like the look

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Blackburn explorer disc. Mounts on the rear quick release and is solid. You do need to sort the seat stay end with p clips or a replacement seat collar with mounts.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I use the SQR system on my Ribble for commuting - with the 9 litre Audax bag which just about manages with clothes, pump, inner tube, bananas, wallet, phone etc but it is a fairly tight squeeze (I use a bar bag as well in summer but that gets in the way of winter lighting). I leave my shoes at work! On the rare occasions I need to carry more I drag out a rucksack.

I find it excellent - the bag detaches and mounts in seconds. The Super C fabric is pretty much indestructible unless you crash damage it (though that seems unlikely with a saddle bag) and even then can be repaired by Carradice pretty easily. Strictly speaking it isn't waterproof though once worn is to all intents and purposes - I do put my clothes in a pod sac but that is as much for convenience and keeping them clean as any worries about keeping them dry; I've never seen any dampness in the bag.

You can also get a huge 23 ltr bag for the SQR as well so unless you want to do proper touring, the SQR mount should cover pretty much any eventual need.
    Faster than a tent.......