Adjust or replace Fox RP2?

OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes Posts: 460
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have a Canyon Nerve 8 from around 2014. Anyway the rear shock is a Fox RP2.
I don't really like the Pro Pedal as it seems to me (Roadie who occasioanlly uses MTB) that I cannot lock out the rear shock enough. In fact I can hardly tell the difference with the swich in either position. I would like it to fully lock out for climbing on roads when the need arises.
So, is there a way to adjust this or should I swap it out for another shock?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Swapping a shock for on road performance seems a bit perverse.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Swapping a shock for on road performance seems a bit perverse.
    I suppose yes, but I ride a lot of cross country tracks with a lot of uphill where I hate the squidgy back end especially when climbing out of the saddle
  • cooldad
    Sounds like you need a hardtail. Or a FS with a better back end design.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No decent shock has a full lock. The RP2 is as good as anything.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Have you got the correct amount of air/correct sat etc?If yes then it shouldn't be squishy with Propedal on even if not locked out.
    If you can't tell any difference whatever position it's in then something isn't set right.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    Have you got the correct amount of air/correct sat etc?If yes then it shouldn't be squishy with Propedal on even if not locked out.
    If you can't tell any difference whatever position it's in then something isn't set right.
    I shall have to go over the setup again and re adjust, I know its supposed to be done regularly, I think abouit once a week I have read for the RP2 and last time I just put 100psi in and hoped for the best.
    I will take a closer look when I get home in a few days.
    Thanks all
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I shall have to go over the setup again and re adjust, I know its supposed to be done regularly, I think abouit once a week I have read for the RP2 and last time I just put 100psi in and hoped for the best.
    Thanks all
    That is probably the problem.You need the correct amount of air to get the correct Sag(usually 20-30% of travel depending on preference) then adjust rebound accordingly.This needs to be set in your full riding gear including backpack etc.
    Sag guide HERE.
    I'm 13.5st and IIRC needed around 225psi to get the Sag correct on my old RP2.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Thanks all
    That is probably the problem.You need the correct amount of air to get the correct Sag(usually 20-30% of travel depending on preference) then adjust rebound accordingly.This needs to be set in your full riding gear including backpack etc.
    Sag guide HERE.
    I'm 13.5st and IIRC needed around 225psi to get the Sag correct on my old RP2.

That much? Thanks for the helpful post, I am currently just a tad under 13st so that gives me a good starting point and seems I was way off the mark
  • cooldad
    Shock pressure depends on the design of the suspension, so pressure on one bike might bear absolutely no relation to another.
    At a similar weight I use 210psi on one bike with an RP2 and 170psi on another.
    Just measure the sag.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shocks need setting once. If it needs adjusting regularly then something is wrong.
  • The best solution for your request is in my opinion, the revalving of the shim stack and set it up to a firmer compression damping. By this way you will get the best pedal platform, not complet lock out, but the firmest one.