Discovered a small crack in my frame. Is it safe to ride?

IShaggy
IShaggy Posts: 301
edited October 2016 in Road general
Discovered a small crack in my frame today. Is it safe to ride?

y3mNOE7el2HovuwbRYyHHtpLk9YfrMpuiACC_Vdls51iaHrbtUsk_9kuJ9P0P5NVpMlI3HAU0gpBlsJuh8SRSQwO3pDDBY8dptirBJpQqpjL0sI5THxGe2KNwPisHkKtoHRQGj8LyVps5rKVbXj57SWZq-PJlKwnQ72gFi2TboURsM?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

Bike seems to absorb the bumps better. Silver lining :wink:

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Try sticking some chewing gum in there. Act as a shock absorber.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Cut up a drinks can, lucozade will give a good colour match, secure in place with a few cable ties and it'll be fine.
  • Seems fine. Do take care mind as your bottle holder top screw might fall off an you'll lose your bottle holder.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • IShaggy
    Seems fine. Do take care mind as your bottle holder top screw might fall off an you'll lose your bottle holder.

I think it's the bottle holder top screw that's keeping the frame together. Touch it up with nail-varnish, an' jobs a goodun!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Only downside is that your gears will go out of alignment as that crack opens up.

Best duck tape it.
  • IShaggy
    To be serious for a moment, I've had the frame for just over 2.5 years, and I believe there's a 3 year warranty, so I may be able to get a replacement. Was getting some creaking noises, which I thought was the BB. My chain started jumping when out of the saddle, and then the ride went noodly. Never crashed or even dropped the bike.
  • Dab of T-Cut should buff that out no probs.
  • Can't see anything, could you take a close up picture?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Over tightened the bottle cage. Oooops
  • IShaggy
    AK_jnr wrote:
    Over tightened the bottle cage. Oooops

Nope, not in this case. I once had to drill out a bottle cage boss (not on this bike) after the bolt had corroded and the boss got loose. So I learnt my lesson and ever since I grease the threads and tighten with great care.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Looks like impact from road debris ( probably something large and metallic). A bit of Muc off, and some chewing gum, and that'll be fine.
  • IShaggy wrote:
    Discovered a small crack in my frame today. Is it safe to ride?

y3mNOE7el2HovuwbRYyHHtpLk9YfrMpuiACC_Vdls51iaHrbtUsk_9kuJ9P0P5NVpMlI3HAU0gpBlsJuh8SRSQwO3pDDBY8dptirBJpQqpjL0sI5THxGe2KNwPisHkKtoHRQGj8LyVps5rKVbXj57SWZq-PJlKwnQ72gFi2TboURsM?width=660&height=372&cropmode=none

Bike seems to absorb the bumps better. Silver lining :wink:

You call that a small crack? I first thought I was lookin at a pic of Valles Marineris until I noticed the bottle holder. I would feel safer trying to ride a lion.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    I opened this expecting to see a badly shot picture of something that could be a bit of hair stuck to a frame, or even less. Good luck with the claim. You don't carry lead weights in your bottle cage do you?
  • Obvious user error, too much tension in the gear cables.
  • You didn't lend it to a mate that's been taking part in any Crits recently have you :wink::lol: