Disc brake wheels for a Diverge

devonboy
devonboy Posts: 45
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I have been running around all summer on two way fit Zondas and schwalbe pro ones.

I have recently got a Diverge which comes with the Axis Classic disc wheelset,which Specialized assured me would go tubeless with tape and a rim strip,but they don't.Even with a compressor the schwalbe g-ones I have chosen will not lock on to the rims and I have reverted to using tubes.

I have been spoilt by the Zondas which have a smooth bed with no spoke holes and which locked on with three puffs from a track pump.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably price tubeless wheelset with a smooth bed which doesn't cost the earth.I keep finding wheels such as as Hunt and Novatech which look good and are priced right for me (no more than £500 if possible) and then finding that you need tape and rim strips to fit a tubeless tyre.I was hoping that the Zonda DB wheelset would be available because this would be ideal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would double check with specialized the bike did not come with scs wheels. If it did you need to buy a non scs gear hanger to use non scs wheels. Specialized will advise on the correct part number for your bike (£10) and you can then use normal wheels.
  • I carefully chose an A1 sport,not SCS wheels and a threaded bottom bracket.I figured this would be a good start for upgrading to lighter wheels and a better group set in due course.

Problem is finding wheels with a smooth rim bed which don't require tape and are not high priced carbon.
  • I don't think your problem is the tape... I have wheels with tape and wheels without and there isn't much difference in the way they behave as tubeless.

That said, anything mid/high end Mavic drilled with the FORE system has no holes, so Ksyrium disc for instance. Not sure if they have the tubeless rim profile though.

I have built myself a pair of Mavic XM 819 rims, which have FORE cups and no holes... they only come as 32 though, in case you wanted low spoke count
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you may need more tape to build the rims up to get the tight fit you need. I have seem before on supposidly tubeless wheels/rims.

Cant speak about mavic rims/wheels and tubeless but the rims that do work well with tubeless tyres are the Pacenti SL25, Kinlin tubeless rims, DT Swiss rims are o.K and so should there wheels. HED rims need building up with tape.

So it a case of the rim being made to allow clinchers to be fitted easily which is what many want.

The campag wheels work because the tyres are a tight fit. People do complain about campag wheels and tight fitting tyres but for tubeless this is a good thing.

Use more tape maybe gorrilla tape to build the rim up.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I was told by Specialized that the Axis wheels were capable of going tubeless with tape and a rim strip.On the first run through,two complete turns of Stans tape,I was still leaking air through the spoke holes,so used the second roll of tape.With the rim finally sealed I added a Stans rim tape and tried with a track pump.That didn't work so I tried my compressor which is a proper job with air tank.The beads of the Schwalbe G one would spring into position but not seal and fall back.Gave up and put a tube in.The contrast with my Zonda wheels which need no tape was marked.

In the end I think I will wait for the new Campagnolo C17 disc wheels to become available.
  • I would prefer taped anyway, purely less of a pain in the backside if spokes go, and if you can't do spokes yourself the bike shop won't groan at the thought of it and tell you they will have to order in the parts blah de blah.

Plus those Hunt wheels have been tempting me for a while. As above thought Specialized had something weird with the hub width so check that first.

Also those S/G ones tend to gather in the centre making it hard to get them up, someone suggested more tape to me to stop them going in to the middle. The S-One on a wide rimmed wheel is the only combo I cannot do with a track pump and need a full blast of Co2 to get them on and carefully making sure the beads are over the valve properly beforehand
  • The posher Specialized Diverge came with their own SCS standard wheels .By buying an A1 Sport I got the ordinary wheel standard,a carbon fork and a threaded bottom bracket (no BB30 yay!) thus killing a number of birds with one stone.

I come to this road bike malarky from mountain bikes,and I first went tubeless in 2007 using UST XT rims (no spoke holes) and Specialized tubeless ready tyres,hence the possession of a compressor.I would not contemplate tubes except as a last resort.

I must be well into double figures for p*******s this summer but in each case they sealed.The only change to my normal routine is that I switched to Orange Endurance sealant as the Stans did not seem to cope as well at sealing at high pressures.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If the air got past the tape, the tape was not applied properly simple as that. Use tape wider than the rim. Rim strip is never actually needed if you do it right.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Last time I checked out the Hunt wheels they say THEY CAN INSTALL the Schwalbe Pro Ones FOR YOU so no dramas and a good price too, without the possible hassle of searching around for stock on the Pro Ones...
  • I would prefer taped anyway, purely less of a pain in the backside if spokes go, and if you can't do spokes yourself the bike shop won't groan at the thought of it and tell you they will have to order in the parts blah de blah.

True for Campagnolo, but Maivc's FORE is very easy to deal with... you unscrew the cup, replace the spoke and screw the cup back on... no need for fishing nipples with a magnet and all that nonsense
    left the forum March 2023

True for Campagnolo, but Maivc's FORE is very easy to deal with... you unscrew the cup, replace the spoke and screw the cup back on... no need for fishing nipples with a magnet and all that nonsense
    Yeah the ones that caused a groan from my bike shop were Fulcrum 2-way Fit.
  • Just heard from R J Chicken,apparently new Zonda disc brake wheels will not be made in a two way fit version,will have to think again
  • hnefi
    hnefi Posts: 15
    I'm actually looking into something similar right now as an upgrade, except tubeless isn't a concern for me since I like the ease of changing out clinchers roadside if need be. I made a thread in the Workshop section but potentially that was the wrong place to put it.

OP, have you managed to get the dimensions of the hubs and compatibility for an aftermarket wheelset? I have the Diverge Elite DSW which has a thru axle in the front, so I think that means I'll have to get wheels that can be converted back and forth... Hopefully that's not too expensive.

My dream wheels are the new Enve 4.5 discs....... :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • My 2016 A1 Sport Diverge has 100/135mm spacing,but higher end bikes up to this year have Specialized own SCS standard which I believe has a wider rear axle which means Roval wheels.
  • hnefi
    I have the 2017 Elite DSW which is not listed as SCS on the website... I did some digging on that standard before buying and decided that I didn't want the hassle of buying only Roval wheels in the future. However, my emails to Specialized support have not been replied to so far, so I do not have a definitive answer as to the standards.

Any progress on your search yet?
  • kajjal
    Hnefi wrote:
    I have the 2017 Elite DSW which is not listed as SCS on the website... I did some digging on that standard before buying and decided that I didn't want the hassle of buying only Roval wheels in the future. However, my emails to Specialized support have not been replied to so far, so I do not have a definitive answer as to the standards.

Any progress on your search yet?

Assuming you have SCS wheels, the options are use specialized wheels (axis / roval), wheels built with Hope SCS hubs or just buy a non SCS gear hanger and use whatever wheels you want (Check with Specialized for correct part number for your bike.)
  • hnefi
    *UPDATE* for 2017 models. It seems like even Specialized doesn't know what they're talking about... I have a 2017 Diverge DSW which is their premium E5 aluminum frame, same material as the SWorks Allez, and they finally sent me a reply to my email.

It reads: "La roue arrière Axis Elite est compatible avec une transmission de 11 vitesses. Vous pouvez retrouver ici le guide de compatibilité pour le système SCS"

Or if you prefer in English: "The rear Axis Elite wheel is compatible with an 11 speed transmission. You can download the compatibility guide for SCS wheels here" http://service.specialized.com/collater ... 040845.pdf

However, if you look at the diagrams in that document, it clearly shows that an SCS hanger is recessed 2.5mm inboard, to make up for the fact that the hub's chainline is 2.5mm inboard as well. I haven't taken the RDH off my bike (too busy riding it!) but it is ARROW straight and has no offset at all. It looks much more like the one labelled "standard 130mm road chainline". My LBS is also clueless as to which system I am actually riding which really bothers me. Had I known this when buying the bike, I would have thought a LOT more about it.

Regardless I am happy they confirmed its 11 speed compatible, which was going to be my first upgrade. Ultegra with hydro discs after the winter season.
  • kajjal
    Had similar experience, your lbs will have no idea what to check or suggest.