260 TPI clincher tyre with tubes or 120 TPI tyre tubeless?

silviull
silviull Posts: 16
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
i am building a gra-ndurance bike and i am trying to figure out the tyres that i will put on it. i'll ride mostly good tarmac (50%) and bad to very bad tarmac(50%) so i decide to use some 35ish tyres (i usually ride 28 marathon supreme and 25 one v-guard but i want/need a little bit more comfort)
the candidates are, at this time, challenge strada bianca open tubular (36c, 260 TPI) and schwalbe g-one (35c, 120 TPI tubeless) . does anybody has some experience with both type of tyres and could enlighten me a little ?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    G-One is a gravel/dirt road tyre, so if all your rides are on tarmac (good or bad in equal measure by the sound of it) then the Stradas would make more sense.
  • Imposter wrote:
    G-One is a gravel/dirt road tyre, so if all your rides are on tarmac (good or bad in equal measure by the sound of it) then the Stradas would make more sense.
    thank you for your answer. in know that the schwalbe is for gravel, but everybody is saying how good they are on every surface... i might try the strada...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    What about the Schwalbe S-One? Sounds like they would fit in a bit better with your intended use.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    What about the Schwalbe S-One? Sounds like they would fit in a bit better with your intended use.
    ya, it will be perfect ..if 35. i really want to try smth wide. compass bon jon tubeless was on my list, but it had mixed reviews and is anything but cheap...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    S-One is not cheap either, and is also 30mm width. Go with the Stradas, or have a look at the S-Works Roubaix tyre in 30/32. Not convinced you need 32s on tarmac roads though..
  • Imposter wrote:
    S-One is not cheap either, and is also 30mm width. Go with the Stradas, or have a look at the S-Works Roubaix tyre in 30/32. Not convinced you need 32s on tarmac roads though..
    i now ride a canyon ultimate with 25 at 100 psi. on a 100km ride i'd really want smth plushier .... and the schwalbe one pinch easily under 85 psi (thin carcass sides).
    i'll take a look at the roubaix... 32c wide is also the hutchinson sector tubeless...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well the only clincher I have ever truely liked because it lasted 5000km of suffolk lane Paris roubaix e.t.c without a puncture while being quite grippy and oh so comfortable is the challange strada bianca. Schwable tubless tyres seems to wear quite quickly. I don't think the S-one would last 5000km for me. They are also like all schwable tubeless tyre cut prone. O.K some will get on with them but schwables compounds are not very hard.

On the plus side the s-one give a plush ride equal to that of the challange tyre. there is far more to ride comfort than casing TPI. You can ignore it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.