Chain drop after LBS adjusted

SteUK
SteUK Posts: 13
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hi all!

New to road cycling, done a virgin 60 miles on my new bike and found the gears needed some small adjustment. Took it to LBS who come are probably considered the best locally. They did the business, but on the way home the chain dropped on the inside of the front chain ring causing some (hopefully cosmetic) minor damage to the frame...which is carbon :(

Whilst the derailer doesn't look out of alignment, this has not happened in the handful of miles I have done out on the road and around town. Will be taking it back to them tomorrow to see what they say. What sort of tone should I be taking with them? What can I reasonably expect?

Thanks!

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    SteUK wrote:
    Hi all!

New to road cycling, done a virgin 60 miles on my new bike and found the gears needed some small adjustment. Took it to LBS who come are probably considered the best locally. They did the business, but on the way home the chain dropped on the inside of the front chain ring causing some (hopefully cosmetic) minor damage to the frame...which is carbon :(

Whilst the derailer doesn't look out of alignment, this has not happened in the handful of miles I have done out on the road and around town. Will be taking it back to them tomorrow to see what they say. What sort of tone should I be taking with them? What can I reasonably expect?

Thanks!
    Depends how much of a big deal you intend to make out of it. Probably down to their fiddling but unfortunately a chain can be thrown off the little ring on the road but doesn't happen when testing the gears on the workstand.Probably just needs an 1/8 of a turn clockwise on the front mech lower limit screw- you could do this yourself. Might be worth fitting a chain catcher too to prevent any recurrence.
  • SteUK
    SteUK Posts: 13
    Here is a pic of the damage...

https://postimg.cc/image/kcefuue51/

Cosmetic I can deal with. It's if it more that makes me cry.

Took it in this morning. The chap looked at the gearing and said it was fine. But would adjust a little all the same. He looked at the damage and seemed to think it was just paint layers and maybe some carbon. But that it was a lot thicker in that area than say mid top tube. Advised maybe some lacquer.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I had a bigger gouge out of the [carbon] bottom bracket of an old Cadex frame, that was already there when I bought it second hand.

I rode many, many miles on that bike and didn't touch the damage with anything.

You've lost some paint and the thinnest veneer of carbon, from what I can see. Personally, I wouldn't worry.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its fine.

Might be an idea to cover it up with Helicopter tape for future drop offs though. And look to put it anywhere a cable could rub.