Cut seatpost on TT bike, now looking to upgrade

pianoman
pianoman Posts: 706
edited October 2016 in Road general
Calling all TT experts/project builders: I've spotted a few good bikes on various local shop floors and have also got a few framesets in mind for a 2017 speed machine. Before I buy though, I need to move on my current steed, a 2012 black and white Cannondale Slice, size 56. Now the steerer tube is not cut at all - full height adjustment is still available even though I only ran with the conical spacer - but the seatpost was cut well down. It is possible to source a replacement for the old Slice but in this situation what would you consider to be the best option?

1: Offer complete bike and accept that people will want to test ride it/not be able to fit it

2: Buy a frameset, swap parts over and advertise the frameset (which might include brakes, aerobars in some cases) to the likes of the LFGSS forum or a local rider who's willing to take it on as a "project"

3: Buy the original seatpost which will incur a cost, but might make the complete bike more marketable.

Any thoughts on what would be most likely to sell? I could put some prices up and pictures in the classifieds section once I've got some feedback from anyone who's had to deal with this issue before.

Enjoy winter training :D

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I've always wanted to build a big project bike - but generally I find that complete bikes get discounted so much more than framesets that it never ends up worth it. I have, however bought a complete bike and stripped and sold bits before it's ever turned a wheel. That way I could get the spec exactly as I wanted it.

I'd identify the bike/frame you want and go from there.

If it's a frame, answer is obvious, transfer everything over and sell the old frameset. Don't buy a new seat post - just find where you can get one and how much it costs. If the person buying it is taller that you can help them with where to get one. If the person buying is your size or shorter they won't need it. If you declare you've cut it in the ad, then all's fair. I very much doubt you'll increase the value by the amount you will have to pay.

If it's a bike, then I'd get it, take the best bits of your existing bike and the best bits of the new bike and sell the rest on. If you want the best price, sell as bits. If you want the least hassle, sell as a complete bike.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    People buying second hand bikes will assume that seatposts and steerer tubes will have been cut down. If the seatpost has been cut down too far for them then a replacement post is an option, at a cost of course. Advising of cost may be helpful and meeting half way on the replacement cost may be a good option to offer. If your bike is sensibly priced then don't shift too much. Not sure if this is the correct post for your model, but it gives an illustration of price.

http://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannondale-Slice-Aero-Seatpost--KP061/product_detail/3-39948

PP
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just sell it as is with the knowledge that you'll take a small hit if someone with a higher saddle height buys it. No biggie.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    New 2017 "speed machine" :roll: and current "steed" :roll:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    mfin wrote:

I know... reeks of weekend warrior speak... if anyone utters those words at our cafe stops, likely to get their skinny latte spilt.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    mfin wrote:

Who cares about his vernacular. Dude likes to ride bikes, that's good enough for me.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg