I think I want this but OTT & over budget anything close?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All
Looking for a new all rounder/do it all bike.
The main purpose is the year round daily (6 mile each way) commute, first mile with a kiddy trailer then decouple and ride on main B roads into Leicester city center and a bit of recreational use family possible sportive;
Main criteria are
Suitable for (ice/Snow) Winter riding so wider 700c tyers 35s/38s? So looking at Cycle X type set up and eventually get a "Summer" wheels to put on it in dri=yer season.
Hydro brakes - Got T boned in the wet, just not enough stopping/modulating on rims IME of Tektro rim even with upgraded pads, and same with mechanical disc albeit, my experience on this was on a Tandem but in wet weren't that much better then old tandem with rim & drum brake.
Full rack and guards mount - moving from carrying ruck sack on back to pannier as no space for kit to be left at work
Something that can be chucked/bashed around low maintenance - won't get cleaned/dried after commute home, no time, I wanted to try something different to Aluminium so was thinking of unilateral carbon but be worried of internal cracking alth not sure if this is case or not? So considering Titanium as I understand this is best weight to strength ration and point of failure is higher (similar to steel but more modem)

So I've seen the Plant X Typhoon Ti frame and full Ultegra;
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXTYPSHI ... a-6800-hdr

But for my needs of 12 mile a day ride seems excessive more then spent on both cars even with C2W scheme on full value still looking approx £1600.

What else is there that's full Ultegra/105 Hydro brakes and 1/2 decent frame? CAADX looked a good deal but its not a full specd 105. Rest I've seen similar; carbon 105 or Ultegra seem just as expensive only save about £2/300, might as well spend a couple hundred extra for the Ti bike at £2300 (by time upgraded to spec I want)

Finally does any one if the Typhoon is painted as the other think is I don't want worry about paintwork getting scratched.
Thanks and sorry for long post!

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I bought the CAADX Ultegra, cost me £1100 from Pedalon
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I have there Pickenflick which is £1699, have upgraded Crank and wheels, great bike.
  • When I last checked the PlanetX ti frames didn't have space or mounts for "proper" mudguards.
  • andyh01
    I didn't realise the Pickenflick was a Ti frame. Having never used anything other than Shimano, is SRAM Ravil on the Pickenflick groupset equivalent to say 105 and sram force = to Ultergra? Is the double tap on SRAM where you have just one lever and tap twice to change up (or is it down) whereas the Shimano have the inner and outer lever to change. Never used SRAM!

Maybe I got confused with another bike offering rack/guard mounts, I could use a large saddle bag clamped to seat post also doubling as mud guard on the back? How could | sort the front for guard?
  • andyh01
    The CAADX isn't full ultergra is it? and the frame is Ali I was hoping to stretch to Ulterga or similar and either carbon if suitable and be dropped and not crack/write off or Ti.

Forgot to ask are the Planet X Ti frames painted or plane just thinking about paint chips (like my current Ali bike has scrathes/chips in the paint work trying to avoid this in future.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Sorry missed the bit about mudguard mounts, so no the Pickenflick doesn't have any mounts for mudguards.
    I ended up with the GT Grade for my winter bike which does have mounts.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The planet x TI frames don't have paint - brushed Ti finish. The Pickenflick is a CX bike so no mudguard mounts, the Tempest is the adventure version (with guard / rack mounts).

Also saw Spa have a Ti Audax bike:
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3553 ... compact%29
  • andyh01
    Thanks for that, quick glance says the Planet x tempest better value, full ultegra the spa is 105 or £10 less.

Mounts /guards les of an issue as looking at SQR from Candice? will also act as a rear guard and too bothered about the front (I don't ride in a group)

What's the difference in the frame between pickenflick and typhoon - the pickenflick frame only seems approx. £200 cheaper than the Typhoon frame only. Tempted to ask PX if can build ultegra spec on the pickenflick which should hopefully be £200 cheaper than the typhoon (as frame cheaper) but is it less quality the ti mix seems to be the same... and pickenflick has won bike of year .... not that I pay too much attention as can be fixed/brought/sponsors and in real world doesn't really mean much just marketing..
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The front mudguard is important to minimise crap thrown at your feet and chainset, amazing how much longer the chain on a winter bike lasts when you have a proper full length front mudguard on.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    AndyH01 wrote:
    I didn't realise the Pickenflick was a Ti frame. Having never used anything other than Shimano, is SRAM Ravil on the Pickenflick groupset equivalent to say 105 and sram force = to Ultergra? Is the double tap on SRAM where you have just one lever and tap twice to change up (or is it down) whereas the Shimano have the inner and outer lever to change. Never used SRAM!

Maybe I got confused with another bike offering rack/guard mounts, I could use a large saddle bag clamped to seat post also doubling as mud guard on the back? How could | sort the front for guard?

Yeah, those equivalents are about right - Rival = 105, Force = Ultegra. I have the Rival hydro on a road bike, and it's pretty good - but the Force 22 I have on my rim-brake custom steel is better.

All the double-tap refers to is the distance you move the lever - a sharp tap to go into a higher gear, a longer push to go lower - you don't have to actually 'double tap' the lever.

After having Shimano for years, going Sram took all of half an hour to get used to. I prefer it now (no choice!), as you don't need to move the brake lever to change down.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    AndyH01 wrote:

Yeah, those equivalents are about right - Rival = 105, Force = Ultegra. I have the Rival hydro on a road bike, and it's pretty good - but the Force 22 I have on my rim-brake custom steel is better.

All the double-tap refers to is the distance you move the lever - a sharp tap to go into a higher gear, a longer push to go lower - you don't have to actually 'double tap' the lever.

After having Shimano for years, going Sram took all of half an hour to get used to. I prefer it now (no choice!), as you don't need to move the brake lever to change down.

Also SRAM is a more mechanical motion to it, downshifting the FD can make quite a noise it the cable tensions right/high. I prefer it though.
  • How about a Whyte Wessex? It's carbon, 105/Ultegra mix (except the chainset) and Hydro disc brakes. It comes with Schwalbe 32mm tubeless too.

It takes mudguards but not sure about the rack.

£2150 and reviewed on road.cc