Whats the best towbar mounted bike rack?

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited October 2016 in Road general
Looking for 3 bikes as will have the fourth on the roof.

Want to get the best as it will last a long time

The ubiquitous Thule? such as http://www.indespension.co.uk/tow-bar-m ... bikes.html
That one also allows an optional 4 bike mode with an add on without being so big when not using it.

Or this Witter one looks good as it can be wheeled around with the bikes on and folds up when no bikes on it I think.
http://www.thealetowbars.co.uk/witter-cycle-carriers

Or Bosal:? http://www.bosal-towbars.co.uk/cycle-ca ... er-compact

Or is something cheaper like Tow-Trust just as good? http://www.thealetowbars.co.uk/tow-trust-cycle-carriers

Or something completely different?

Comments

• e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I have the Thule and it has been absolutely flawless for years. Expensive, but top quality.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I picked up one of these for 150 quid in Decathlon. Can't fault it.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/towvoyage-r ... 37822.html
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • +1 for the Altera. Had it now for 4 years carrying both road and mtb. Been faultless.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    One friend has the Thule and one the Altera.

They are both very nice but I am getting the Thule as its not that much more and I have been very pleased with every other Thule thing we have ever bought.

Oh, and snob value box is ticked too!
  • Thule - and now is the time to look on eBay for local "collection only" listings. I picked up my 9402 for £35 this way. Ok it had a piece missing, but that missing piece was replaced for the princely dum of £1.57 (delivered)
  • apreading
    Decathlon one lacks hard mounting for the upper part of the bike, so presumably they are not held separate and will rub on each other?

Atera looks good but isnt alot less than the Thule - I guess the Thule name would help with resale should I need to do that in the future. I like that both the Atera and Thule allow you to click on a 4th bike extension in an emergency, although I probably would never need to.
  • apreading
    Ebay a good call - I am not in a hurry anyway.

thanks all - keep the ideas coming if anyone has any more!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    E17Blade wrote:
    I have the Thule and it has been absolutely flawless for years. Expensive, but top quality.

+1

I have a Thule velo compact two bike rack....it's a bit of a faff getting the arms in the right position the first time you use it but once you've got the hang of it your sorted :D

Plus points are that it locks to your towbar.

The bikes can be left locked to the rack.

Plenty of extra space to put on an extra cable / chain lock.

Spares or different length arms are readily available .

The two bike velo compact carries a max of 46 kg

It also folds flat ish to go in your car boot when not needed

Got mine from a bike shop in Halifax...good price and great customer services :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited October 2016
    We used to have a Thule 3 +1 towbar bike rack, I bought it new (Second hand but brand new and never used) off ebay for £160 about 8 years ago.

At the time I think they were £350 odd new.

Sold it last year (As we no longer have a car with a towbar and I tend to stash them inside now anyway) on ebay for £200!

Also bought a double one of a similar ilk for £30, and sold that to my bro - both came with light boards, and number plate plinths.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thule!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Kuat racks are my favorite, I love mine, much nicer than any of my friends Thule or Yakima racks. Pricey, but the fit and finish and overall functionality is top notch
  • apreading
    Just looking at Kuat, they do look nice but no rear lightboard or number plate? Surely illegal in the UK at least?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I have the Thule and it's great. The quality of the building is top notch.

I've had some issues but they have been user error and not faults of the product.

There are some functional flaws and, interestingly, the description of the Altera takes these head on and suggests the Altera doesn't have the same issues. I'd be keen to try the Altera (if we still had a town bar).
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Hard to fault Thule
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.