8 speed chainset with 24/32/42

GoGoMTB
GoGoMTB Posts: 3
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Also posted on another forum....
I bought v cheaply a Voodoo Bantu (26 inch wheels, 2012 version I guess).
Good:Frame/forks/wheels(alexrim rear and mavic front)/Brakes (but rear needs bleeding), front was replaced recently and okay.
Bad:Rear brakes need bleeding, I have a kit. whole groupset shot.
So, I need a new chainset and bottom bracket. I also replaced the chain (clarks 8 speed) and cassette shimano HG41-8 11-34t. Now I find this probably has sub optimal ratio, but never mind. My idea was to get lower gearing when on the centre front chainring (32t). With the new cassette I find it hard to get the chain tension right, it's okay when in the lowest gearing but a bit over extended in the highest.

So I was thinking maybe go for a chainset with a smaller range, for sure 22t is over the top for a bit of singletrack.
if I had been more careful with my cassette selection I could have even stretched to 26t chainring, but I've used a calculator and it's not going to be okay with the HG41. So 24t is okay I think, will be more usable range and help with the chain tension issue.

So in my haste, I thought get a 24t chainring, so I bought one (RaceFace 24t 64mm BCD).
However, I can't seem to find any info about what this chainring is compatible with.

Budget (<£40 ready I should be able to find something?)
square taper (probably stick with this, as they are cheap and simple, but I could use something else as this is shot anyway)
length (175mm seems to be the norm)
type (3 chainring chainset, better if I want to cycle on road from time to time, stick with 8x3 speed to match shifters)

my options: (I've read 8 or 9 speed versions of the chainset should be okay, with 8 speed setup)
1) get chainset with removable chainrings 22-32-42 and modify to 24-32-42, but which chainset is compatible?
2) buy a 24-32-42 chainset, and hang my raceface chainring on the wall!

Notes:
Yes I have the tools to remove the chainset, and BB (square taper),
Yes, I'm mechanically minded and I find this work 'fun'!
Yes, I like to learn, so won't be going to my LBS.

So far from looking on the web I've found this lot, no idea if any are any good or not?

2017-Shimano-MTB-Triple-Crank-set-Crankset-24-34-42-170mm-alloy-cranks-FCTY501 £20 Ebay
Shimano FC-M131 Chainwheel Crank Set & Guard 24/34/42T 170mm Bike Cycle NEW £20 Ebay
Shimano FC TY501 6/7/8 Speed Bike Crankset 42/34/24 teeth Black Crank Arm Length 175 mm 2017 Chainset MTB £31 Amazon
Shimano FC-M 171 Alloy Triple Chainset Ratios Available: 24/34/42T 170mm £23 Ebay
Suntour XCT chainset (175mm) 22/32/42 20 Amazon
SR Suntour CW13 XCR-T424 Chainset: 175mm Black 44/32/22 48 Amazon
SR SUNTOUR CW13 XCR-T424 TRIPLE CHAINWHEEL SET 175mm ALLOY CRANK 44/32/22 £23 Ebay
R Suntour XCR6-T424 Chainset Bicycle Crank 175mm Black 34/32/22 £30 Ebay

In short HELP!!!! (thankyou)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think you're overthinking this, your mech can cope fine, set the chain length right and go ride.

Chain length is set as big/big (not through the rear mech) and an overlap of at least 1 PAIR of links.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A quick update as might be interesting to someone,
    In the end I just went for a budget option, via Decathlon. I really love that place!

Shimano Tourney FC TY501 8 Speed Crankset 42/34/24 teeth Silver Crank Arm Length 170 mm. Low end for sure, but really very good value. A little shorter, but I can't tell the difference to be honest. I've only just changed it as was using the chainset from my old bike, just some muddyfox branded generic. It was okay for a stop gap but I really wanted to get some rides in during the Autumn. Such fun using the swinley forest trails. Especially the red routes :)

For tyres I used schwalbe black jack 26x2.25, seem to give good enough grip with good puncture protection, might go for something more nobbly for the front over the winter if anyone has any suggestions? I just burped the brakes, bought a big bottle of shimano mineral oil and the shimano funnel, brakes seem great now.

Also bough a short stem, 60mm. Haven't tested yet but for sure 90mm is too long for me. Will let you know how that goes!
    Also was thinking of making some chain device. I've wrapped the chainstay with an innertube, but still find the chain really bounces around and it's pretty annoying. For chain device I saw re-using a reflector on youtube, anyone tried that!?